Kiwi style...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Kiwi style...

Post by Lichtgestalt » 21st May, '09, 19:38

I hope they enjoy it as long as they can and then declare bankruptcy :D

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... tion=world

New Zealand police are searching for a couple believed to have fled the country with millions of dollars they received in a banking error.

Police will not reveal who the accidental millionaires are, but it is believed they ran a service station in the North Island city of Rotorua.

The couple had applied for a $10,000 loan to stop their business going under, but Westpac mistakenly transferred $8 million ($NZ10 million) into their account.

Now these cunning Kiwis have done a runner, but police are in hot pursuit.

Westpac's slogan is "making the most of life", and that appears to be exactly what these two Kiwis are doing.

The bank is still trying to figure out if someone's finger slipped on the computer keyboard - transferring millions instead of thousands into the couple's bank account.

New Zealand police are not talking today - they are too busy searching for the pair who are believed to have fled the country.

They are looking into the possibility that there is a second bank involved who knows nothing about the mistake.

Interpol has been called in to help track down the couple.

Westpac released a statement saying it is pursuing vigorous criminal and civil action to recover the money.

New Zealand lawyer Mike Colson has a lot of experience advising banks when things go wrong and they make accidental payments.

"Usually they look at freezing accounts, but generally it's not a criminal matter," he said.

"But Interpol are involved this time."

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Re: Kiwi style...

Post by azzam » 21st May, '09, 22:34

Except they're not Kiwis, both immigrants I believe. One Chinese and the other Australian. Not sure howl long they've been there though.

What would you do if someone dropped 10 mill in your bank account by mistake?
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 21st May, '09, 22:44

azzam wrote:What would you do if someone dropped 10 mill in your bank account by mistake?
I don't think I'd notice it. :mrgreen:
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 21st May, '09, 23:42

azzam wrote:What would you do if someone dropped 10 mill in your bank account by mistake?
Do a quick check if it will last me for the rest of my life, write a small note to Diana and then take the next flight out :mrgreen:

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 22nd May, '09, 06:18

how does one withdraw 8 million from a bank and no one notices? seriously... Oh yes sir let me get that in cash for you without an alarm bell?.. wtf?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 22nd May, '09, 07:23

it won't work: in order for this to be untraceable you need to draw cash and disappear and you just can't draw cash in that amount. a banker's cheque won't work, and the only other solution is to make the money disappear via a number of transfers of varying amounts using off-shore accounts in different names and in jurisdictions with strict bank secrecy laws. that is something that takes time to set up.

azzam

Post by azzam » 22nd May, '09, 09:10

Lichtgestalt wrote:
write a small note to Diana :mrgreen:
You are so sleeping on the couch.

azzam

Post by azzam » 22nd May, '09, 14:37

What about this one?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/ap_ ... nd_big_toy

I reckon Mum did it and blamed it on the kid.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 22nd May, '09, 14:49

azzam wrote:
Lichtgestalt wrote: write a small note to Diana :mrgreen:
Not if the note says, "Darling, no time to explain. Meet me in Cayman Islands. I have a wonderful surprise for you." :D
Last edited by Lili Von Shtupp on 22nd May, '09, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Addadude
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Totally underwhelmed

Post by Addadude » 22nd May, '09, 14:57

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:
azzam wrote:
Not if the note says, "Darling, no time to explain. Meet me in Cayman Islands. I have a wonderful surprise for you." :D
"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain..."
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 22nd May, '09, 15:27

Morrolan wrote:it won't work: in order for this to be untraceable you need to draw cash and disappear and you just can't draw cash in that amount. a banker's cheque won't work, and the only other solution is to make the money disappear via a number of transfers of varying amounts using off-shore accounts in different names and in jurisdictions with strict bank secrecy laws. that is something that takes time to set up.
Don't think it's worthwhile trying that. Take the money and run and never come back

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 22nd May, '09, 15:47

Well I've got to confess that I once had GBP 300 plopped into my credit card account once in the UK. This was many years ago in the UK. I waited a couple of months, nothing happened, so I spent it :D I think if it was millions though.... well, it's a different matter. I wouldn't risk it. Mmm thousands maybe.

I used to work for a large American bank in London at one time and, believe me, the erroneous transfers that used to go on - pretty scarey, big 6 figure transfers. Always check your bank statements, folks.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 23rd May, '09, 08:27

Lichtgestalt wrote:
Morrolan wrote:it won't work: in order for this to be untraceable you need to draw cash and disappear and you just can't draw cash in that amount. a banker's cheque won't work, and the only other solution is to make the money disappear via a number of transfers of varying amounts using off-shore accounts in different names and in jurisdictions with strict bank secrecy laws. that is something that takes time to set up.
Don't think it's worthwhile trying that. Take the money and run and never come back
which is the problem: you can't get the money.