Election Eve

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Election Eve

Post by Joseph27 » 20th Aug, '10, 14:56

Well a day to go - looks like its going right down to the wire... the libs have done a very destructive campaign but boy they are within a whisper of winning. The latest betting is going mostly onto the libs - i am a nerd but I am looking forward to watching the australian channel coverage tomorrow. Personally I just want to see the australian sex party get the seat currently held by family first
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Election Eve

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Aug, '10, 17:18

Don't you have 4 posts already about this shinanigans?

I'll be busy watching something where the result may still be down to the wire, but really, I don't care about that either (well, as long as they don't play their vuvuzelas).
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 20th Aug, '10, 17:54

FB - its my favorite night of TV... yes i know its quite sad but I get a few bottle of wine, some cheese, pate and get prepared for a night with australia's political pundits... I am calling this as an Abbot 3 seat win.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Aug, '10, 19:00

Very sad indeed. Though I must admit, it took 8 years for me to figure that out.

Which ever bunch of idiots get in, they are only interested in staying in. Until you get someone that doesn't want to be a politician in your government, then you will always have that problem. So does the UK, US, Indonesia and god knows how many more places in the world.

Get real, who ever is in, it won't change a thing that isn't going to be changed anyhow.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 20th Aug, '10, 19:57

Agree 100% - it doesnt matter who gets in - they are both interested in staying in and thats it... older governments had plans, todays governments have focus groups to ask questions of and get feedback... policies are reactive, initiatives are history.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Aug, '10, 20:09

So why are you so interested? Is this something that, because you know it's not going to make an iota of difference, you have to watch?

Don't worry, this isn't anti-aussie, it's anti-politician. I'm the same way for the US presidency race and almost that way for the UK voting day.

Bag o'shite the lot of it!

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 21st Aug, '10, 07:55

It's obviously a huge, huge thing here - we're avoiding multiple election night party invitations.

We can't even vote.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 21st Aug, '10, 08:37

Good question... i have worked a few work elections in both helping the electorate commission and then other elections in scrutineering for the liberal party. I love the process and the strategy - and election night is the culmination of that. I havent missed picking an election since Liberals lost with kennett.

FB - I try to be a cynic but I am waiting for the day we get a true visionary leader - I hope it happens someday, someone who can transcend the noise and provide real vision. I was so sad that Gillard ended up standing for nothing, things she should have stood up for and she surely believes in were trampled for political expediency. And lets face Abbott stands for nothing so we are left with 2 hollow campaigns - the south park choice between a turd and a douche. Either way everyone loses....

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Aug, '10, 09:32

Watch out for visionary leaders: Tony Blair when elected was thought to be visionary, look at the mess that guy got us into!

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 21st Aug, '10, 10:57

Yep Obama too, then again how many historical leaders could actually thrive today under the microscope of a 24/7 news cycle? Roosevelt wouldn’t have been electable - Kennedy's moon vision would have been dished by Fox news as entirely wasteful and would never have got off the ground.

So a question - are people generally more cynical and through their cynicism feeding the growth industry of useless news services that exist to make money from sensationalized news, or have the media in their attempt to modernize exacerbated our cynicism by endlessly selling the news in an ever increasingly simplistic and headline manner? That answer does seem to be somewhat of a mix of these however as a society we are not going to get answers to our major problems by pandering to constant focus group outcomes and opinion polls. At some stage genuine visionary leadership is needed.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 21st Aug, '10, 19:03

Its a hung parliament (not the same as a well hung parliament) - one green - 1 greenish - and 3 conversatives.... Fuck this is the most fascinating election i've watched since 1984.... Of course I was only 11 then...

I LOVE ELECTION NIGHT

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 21st Aug, '10, 19:12

Oh gawd....
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 21st Aug, '10, 19:32

the ALP fucked up majorly - Kevin would have won.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 21st Aug, '10, 20:08

ALP 72
LIB 73
GRN 1
OTH 4

Man first time ever

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 22nd Aug, '10, 12:30

It ain't over until the Greens and Indies sing....what sought-after men they will be with both parties over the next few days.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 22nd Aug, '10, 13:04

Bob Katter holding the balance of power. That's like something from the Book of Revelations.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 22nd Aug, '10, 13:57

So Abbott got the liberal leadership with a majority of one, and right now he is on verge of forming govt with the 3 independents. It would seem more likely that the 3 will go with him to form govt though he will need to be a master negotiator to be effective as PM. Now the Greens have the majority in the senate - governing in Australia just got tougher.