Queensland Flood

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Re: Queensland Flood

Post by Sardonicus » 15th Jan, '11, 09:48

Best of luck with the situation KK, hope you and yours are well.

For the others, this from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12173813
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

kittykat
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: In a state of flux

Post by kittykat » 16th Jan, '11, 05:46

Hi all - we all came out high and dry. Didn't even really come up past a few houses right on the river. A lot of Graceville is under but by the looks of things it will be cleared up pretty quickly. People are coming from all over helping clean up to the point cars cannot get through. Still no power in some areas but the council are managing it well. Clearly phased clean up process, bussing in volunteers (they expected 6,000 yesterday and got 12,000 and had to turn some away). Looks like the same thing today. Real thing is proper equipment like high pressure water hoses etc. We are out to my stepfathers today to get stuck into his place. It went totally under. Thanks for all well wishes.
Because you're worth it...

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 16th Jan, '11, 08:16

Glad to hear your place was safe KK, good luck with the family clean up.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 16th Jan, '11, 08:20

Yeah, stay safe, KK and the rest of you in Queensland.
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 16th Jan, '11, 09:16

Yesterday there were volunteers everywhere not just in the flooded regions, There were hundreds of people on the beaches/flats/swamps north of the river picking up debris which has deposited itself there after being swept down the river. The official volunteer centres were full but it was just people coming out of nowhere and helping. There were a few rubberneckers (site-seers) but most people were out to help. My friends houses are fine except for a broken fence. The flash food went beside his house and flood waters reached on the front doorstep of the other place.

Well everyones rushing to graceville/chelmer the nice suburbs but goodna it's a different story.
Thousands lined the streets willing to help and suburbs such as Rosalie, Milton and Graceville buzzed with the sounds of human spirit and giving.
But in Goodna, west of Brisbane, the streets were thick with sludge - and deafeningly silent.
'I think it's a cultural thing. We've got a lot of lower socio-economic people here, people from different countries and Aborigines,'' Mr Ward said. ''We desperately need help.''
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environ ... 19s2r.html

Nope! God help those who help themselves. If you want to sit there and cry "give me give me" you'll get absolutely none. If you pick up a shovel and start the clean-up then people will just appear to give you a hand.
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 16th Jan, '11, 09:25

baloo wrote:Shame you're not English Burby. We could have pasted your picture in the Urban Dictionary where they list "Whinging Pom".
I really don't understand these guys they go to the back of nowhere and complain. For what it's worth burby tudor, I watched it live, Australia beat England in the 20/20 game on TV and I quite enjoyed it... :lol:

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 16th Jan, '11, 10:13

Mr Oz wrote:
baloo wrote:Shame you're not English Burby. We could have pasted your picture in the Urban Dictionary where they list "Whinging Pom".
I really don't understand these guys they go to the back of nowhere and complain. For what it's worth burby tudor, I watched it live, Australia beat England in the 20/20 game on TV and I quite enjoyed it... :lol:
If your power had been out though you would not have been able to enjoy it, since the ABC wasn't broadcasting it, which is the point. I'm not the one complaining, I am merely pointing out that blanket radio coverage (still going on by the way, even though the danger has passed). And why the hell they're forcing us up here to listen to it, when we are 2000 km away, is something that seems to suggest that the ABC is not actually doing its job as an emergency broadcaster. What it is doing is trying to get the rest of the country to wallow in other people's misfortune. I have no desire to do this. I sympathise with their plight, but I have no intention of empathising with it. Nor would I expect them to empathise with me when we're hit by the next cyclone.

The ABC did all this nonsense last year for Stiff Breeze Olga. Constant radio broadcasts of phone in crap for two days and no real information. And then there was no cyclone at all.

As for the cricket, I hate watching it on TV, although T20 is just about OK. I'd rather listen to it on the radio, so that I can be doing other things at the same time. And it's about time England dropped Collingwood. Without him England would have won that game and cruised the one before. He's in terrible form.

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 16th Jan, '11, 11:25

If your power had been out though you would not have been able to enjoy it, since the ABC wasn't broadcasting it, which is the point.
Exactly if I was living in areas isolated and without power I would expect the ABC (as it has done for 50+ years) to tell me when the water would subside, where the emergency centre is, when the roads where going to be opened. I really wouldn't care about a stupid game of cricket...
Last edited by Mr Oz on 16th Jan, '11, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 16th Jan, '11, 13:27

Roads will clear in three days, floods will subside in two days and the power will come on in a week.

What are you going to do next?

Believe me, I've been in this situation. We get it far more often than you guys do.

It's on today by the way, and England going well.