Queensland Flood

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Re: Build more dams to stop floods/droughts

Post by Mr Oz » 11th Jan, '11, 11:36

Notice just on TV. Expect flooding worst then 1974! Evacuate low lying areas. Army being called in. OMG! Mobile phone network is down or over loaded!
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 11th Jan, '11, 11:43

ABC 612 AM for local radio announcements Mr Oz
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 11th Jan, '11, 11:48

of course 4QR just need to get batteries for the trannie... Ahhh...

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: bloody marvellous

Post by Fuzz » 11th Jan, '11, 12:28

For those of you living in QLD or have families or friends living there, my thoughts and prayers are with you ...

Just had a look at the video of the Toowoomba flashflood and it's very terrifying.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/fl ... 5985436806

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 11th Jan, '11, 12:56

oops, turns out the brothers place is smack in a flood zone too. Ah well lucky they have a 2nd floor and all the gear being moved up there. But his wife is having big freak out because she saw cars under water in the street on way to their house, he is laughing that's a good adventure, boys eh.

kittykat
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: In a state of flux

Queensland - Beautiful One day....

Post by kittykat » 11th Jan, '11, 13:09

flooded like nothing I've ever seen.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 110450.htm

Just evacuated from the city to home and it was a nightmare getting out of the city. Trains jam packed, rain pouring and flooding starting. Petrol stations full of cars fillining up - queue'd 10 deep - supermarkets going mental and mayhem everywhere. The flash flood in Toowoomba yesterday was jaw dropping. 8 dead and 72 missing. We are home now moving the furniture upstairs (two storey house) and making sure the beer fridge in the garage is on palettes. Little KK's vaction care was evacuated so little one home safe and sound.

Overall, the devastation is amazing and despite the resilience of Queenslanders the worst is yet to come. The rain just keeps coming. I volunteered and took calls on Sunday night for the flood relief telathon - the generousity blew me away from all over the country on the upside.

It's a strange feeling waiting not knowing what's going to happen. We are about 3 streets back from Brisbane river but on higher ground. Didn't go under in 74 floods so let's hope we will be ok. Well time to get essential documents together in one box that we can pick up and go if we are told.

Keep you all posted. From a very, very wet Brisneyland.
Last edited by kittykat on 11th Jan, '11, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Because you're worth it...

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress

Re: Queensland - Beautiful One day....

Post by Fuzz » 11th Jan, '11, 13:12

KK, my thoughts and prayers are with you! I hope your property will be spared from the devastation ...

:(

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 11th Jan, '11, 13:15

see my to buid dam or not thread. It's kaos in brisbane at the moment.
Cr Newman said latest flood modelling suggested 6500 properties could be inundated, with 16,500 to be only partially affected by floods.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environ ... 19lvq.html

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 11th Jan, '11, 13:24

Called the brother, wasn't quite as chipper as implied by the mother. They're watching the river approach their town house, they expect level 1 to be flooded, and anticipate by Thursday good probability completely under - moving everything to second floor as I type. Plan is to evacuate out to a brother in law place, but I'm just a bit worried about them driving through the city to get there.
Kooky and I had wondered where you were at KK, so good to hear the stilts and history might keep you out of it a bit.

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Fuzz » 11th Jan, '11, 13:29

Tas - thinking about your family too. Sheesh -- so painful. Feeling helpless too.

For donations: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/fl ... 5983681937
As well as for the affected furry ones: https://donate.rspcaqld.org.au/flood

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 11th Jan, '11, 13:31

KK, Tas, good luck, stay safe.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Batwoman
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Stressssed Oooooot

Post by Batwoman » 11th Jan, '11, 13:51

Glad you are all okay xxx

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 11th Jan, '11, 13:51

oh my lot are grand. Food stores are in, the mum and sis on sufficiently high ground, sis and partner are stocked up now as they are in an area that can be road locked, and the brother has a plan, and the parental units have a chunk of staples in the cupboard now. It was just the concern that until the reality set in none of them seemed to believe it was happening ! (like most of Brisbane it seems!)

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 11th Jan, '11, 13:55

Keep safe and dry KK, same for the TAS family. Bloody nightmare, eh?
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 11th Jan, '11, 14:02

Yeap were set too. Everything we need we've got. Just settling in to sit it out for a few days. We're on high ground in the northern suburbs away from the flood action. My wife and I, both locals, were taught from a young age to know where the '74 flood level is and make sure to stay above it.

I feel sorry for the people with million dollar waterfront houses just about to become worthless. After '74 it took over 15 years for the property values of flooded houses to reach the city average. Most people even if they have insurance are going to be wiped out financially.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 11th Jan, '11, 14:18

Take care and stay safe, Queenslanders!

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Re: Queensland Flood

Post by Morrolan » 11th Jan, '11, 14:50

Mr Oz, KK, and all: take care and stay safe.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 11th Jan, '11, 15:10

Get yourselves linked to Queensland Police Service Facebook page - I know KK has.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 11th Jan, '11, 15:12

Just talking to Rudi - she's ok. Of course slarti is away as usual :)

(This will mean something to the old-timers.)

kittykat

Post by kittykat » 11th Jan, '11, 19:31

Hey Tas where are your family (general area??). We are at Graceville and on flood alert. We went for a drive to the river today stickybeaking and it was freaking unreal! We saw a speed boat going up the Brissy River - with it's pontoon still attached. We saw people packing up their homes - moving beds etc. We are on high ground here - although 2 streets from river we didn't go under in 74 but this flood will be bigger so we are preparing for the worst. My lovely neighbour rang me tonight to ask us if we were going to stay somewhere else and and we said no. She's full on planned for the worst - back up water supplies and noodles galore. I told her we have a bbq with tonnes of gas, a pool for washing water and lots of bottled water. Just wonder what we did before internet updates, contact centres, facebook and mobiles.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 11th Jan, '11, 19:42

Before all that shit there were less people, and therefore less need to build in the flood plans.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

kittykat

Post by kittykat » 11th Jan, '11, 20:06

True. Talking to my new train friend on the way home (I make lots of friends on public transport) and we talked about areas that went under in 74 which were dairy / grazing land and now are huge residential new estates. We are waiting for the crisis to die where we will slip into blame mode and blame the crisis on someone. These new developments - the developers for not planning to be totally floodproof, the SES for not responding fast enough (even though most of them are volunteers), the Bureau of Meterology for not predicting the floods etc. As much as I'm seeing the good in people - I'm sure the counter will come out soon enough. tonight on the news a woman saying she was trying to contact SES and "they didn't want to help". I know (via my job) they want to help but they are resource stretched and trying to save lives! I work for Qld Govnt Contact Centre - we had a call from a woman saying she was couldn't cross a flooded road and demanded SES send a helicopter in to airlift her out as her ice cream was melting and she had groceries in the back of her car. Yikes!!!

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 11th Jan, '11, 20:43

kittyKat your at Graceville? OMFG! Get out you are going to seriously flood. That suburb and chelmer were devastated in '74. Those suburbs sit in a bend in the river and water is going to choose the shortest path right through YOU! Get across the bridge to Indooroopilly now! I'm not kidding! The water is going to go straight through fig tree pocket cross the river into Graceville (now you know why it's quaint and quite) across the exiting river through the indooroopilly golf club back across and through Yeronga and back out the tennis center at tennyson! You cannot go south as sherwood, oxley and the rocklea markets are going to be definitely under water. Your only change is north across the bridge (before it goes under too.)

Christ I'm not kidding! Look at google maps! find an old timer he/she will tell you!!! GET OUT NOW!
flood.png
Last edited by Mr Oz on 11th Jan, '11, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 11th Jan, '11, 21:35

Oh KK...that looks so vulnerable. Take care!

It is unbelievable that they say 75% of Qld is now a disaster area. Take care all of you!
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Tack

Post by Tack » 11th Jan, '11, 21:49

My thoughts do go out to all of those affected. Our lower floor was flooded by the Thames in 2003 but it sounds nothing as scary as this, it was just a PITA to clean up.

KK, I have to agree that 2 streets away from river does not sound alot unless on a very steep hill, 19 metres of water is a hell of a lot. The whole houses being undermined and collapsing on camera are terrifying. Good luck and best wishes x

Edit: typo
Last edited by Tack on 11th Jan, '11, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.