Smart Aussies

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Smart Aussies

Post by Lichtgestalt » 18th Jan, '11, 19:15

An Australian couple had to be rescued - after they tried to float down a flood-swollen river on two inflatable sex dolls.

The bizarre attempt to navigate the Yarra River in Queensland backfired when the woman lost her doll in rough water, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.

The incident prompted a warning from police that blow-up sex toys are "not recognised flotation devices".

Police and a State Emergency Services crew were called to the rescue when the pair, both 19, got into trouble at Warrandyte North.

They clung to a floating tree in the river, calling for help, and luckily a passer-by was on hand to call emergency services while a kayaker brought them life jackets.

Police and the SES crew eventually arrived to haul the thrill-seekers to safety.

With Queensland in the grip of its worst flooding in living memory, police said they were not amused at the pair's "stupid" actions.

"We've got people busy with rescues and to have to divert resources to that sort of thing is not ideal," said Senior Constable Wayne Wilson

"Most rescue organisations would frown on people behaving in such a manner because there are people out there who are in genuine need of assistance."

The rescued pair were checked by ambulance officers but did not require medical attention. "The fate of the inflatable dolls is unknown," added Senior Constable Wilson. -- Courtesy of web.orange.co.uk

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Smart Aussies

Post by Fat Bob » 18th Jan, '11, 19:28

Why did they bother rescue these people? Surely it's better for the police to ignore these pranks and to spend that time and money dealing with only those that didn't evacuate.....

I'll get my coat.....
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 18th Jan, '11, 19:39

When did the Yarra River* and Warrandyte* move to Queensland??? [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

I am a bit worried about where I live now...:shock:

This is the original articlehttp://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 5988977158

I had to laugh when I read the last line of the article "The incident led police to warn that blow-up dolls were not recognised floatation devices."

*for those non-Aussies...these are both in Victoria...loath though I am to admit that these idiots were indeed Victorians.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 19th Jan, '11, 13:54

Pinklepurr wrote:When did the Yarra River* and Warrandyte* move to Queensland??? [smilie=rotflmao.gif]
loath though I am to admit that these idiots were indeed Victorians.
Yeah Queenslanders have class they use blow up mattresses..
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environ ... 198el.html
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 19th Jan, '11, 14:23

I have never been one for stupid pranks, and always thought people that did this sort of stuff were idiots. But gotta say, I can sort of see why it would pop into a pre-twenties type of head.
(pretty sure there's some pretty decent studies on risk and danger, and brain patterns etc etc etc in teenagers, and that peoples brains are wired to be hight risk like this up until they are in early 20's)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 20th Jan, '11, 08:53

Yep, they are lacking in myelin sheathing in their brains until the early to mid-20s, Tas :D