It's on

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

It's on

Post by Joseph27 » 30th Jan, '13, 19:11

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politi ... 2dk4u.html

Have a begrudging sense of respect for Julia and a total dislike for Tony Abbott.. still notwithstanding a big turn around in NSW, the ALP is on very shaky ground. Given that we are now in a 7 month election campaign, I wonder what the opinion polls will do and if Abbott starts to stutter, if they will switch. I don't think so.... right now the short money is on Abbott getting about a 12 seat majority and the greens holding the Senate.... The Greens will lose their only lower house seat and the independents (exclude Bob Katter) will lose their seats.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: It's on

Post by Fat Bob » 30th Jan, '13, 19:40

7 months? Ah, for fecks sake!

Do it like the Brits - all over in 6 weeks or so.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 30th Jan, '13, 19:45

Fat Bob wrote:7 months? Ah, for fecks sake!

Do it like the Brits - all over in 6 weeks or so.

It's was always going to be towards the end of this year, she's just made it official early so there's no speculation.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 30th Jan, '13, 22:08

I have to agree with the set date etc...so sick of the crap about announcing dates. I like that it is announce early. Only problem is that now everyone is talking about it...one can only hope it wears off soon.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 31st Jan, '13, 05:02

Agree the speculation on date stuff is no news of interest and a boring filler. Just feels like being orgnanised. And confirming there will be a full term. Guess in simplistic terms she finds it a dull non useful waste of time too. Glad its set, hope it becomes a precident. What ever the strategic sense it makes or people want to analyse to death, to quoten who cares :).
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 2nd Feb, '13, 20:53

The ALP be on shaky ground given Julia's ominous start and few ministers who quit... wonder what the real story is? Of course they say one thing but Roxen is interesting, didn't expect that? It would have been nice if Gillard had gotten behind Gay marriage at least... she looks likely to lose and will leave nothing to speak of her time. At least Keating left so much, a legacy Australia can be proud of - she on the other hand will be like a fart... a bad smell thankfully forgotten
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 4th Feb, '13, 08:26

Seriously, there is a major beat up here. I do for once actually believe they've been planning the departure and succession plan for a while, it's actually happened to smoothly for it not to be, and the QC going into that role has come out confidently. The timing of the election allowed her to make these transitions smoothly. How can people not see the strategy of trying to make a neat transition in early enough time to manage the election, knowing who is or isn't planning to run for next election rather than being a mess 2mths out. As for Roxon, not a big fan, but to say the smoking packaging case that she fought for and won isn't a legacy worth leaving behind hasn't been paying attention. What are you going to say when there is finally a leadership challenge in the Liberal party - because by god it's going to be the unlosable election lost under Abbott, again.

As stated many times I'm a small L liberal in my political leanings, but I do hate seeing people bang on about something that is an obvious beat up. And for gods sake, get over the Gay marriage thing blaming one or two people, at the minimum they at least were allowed a conscious vote while the Liberal party under the Catholic Abbott weren't given the freedom - blame the right people, the Liberal party under the current leadership, they all had the same opportunity to vote.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 21st Mar, '13, 13:30

Julia calls for a leadership spill at 430pm today...Kevin declines to challenge for the top job.

What is going on in the ALP? Wll this finally settle the party down for the election ?!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 21st Mar, '13, 14:11

So Rupert Murdoch still runs the country ?

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 21st Mar, '13, 15:08

Right, that's settled (blink and you'd have missed it), now perhaps the ALP will let the Prime Minister get on with the bloody job of keeping Abbot and co out of government.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Mar, '13, 15:12

So quick it didn't even make the Beeb.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 21st Mar, '13, 15:16

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Mar, '13, 15:25

I eventually found it. It was hidden away.

More importantly, now we know the Australian government practiced like dingoes in the 50-70s!

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 21st Mar, '13, 20:02

It's mentioned on the front page. We are the coup capital of the world - so proud.

I have to vote for one of these fools later in the year.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Mar, '13, 20:10

Ah! Work is UK edition of BBC, home is World edition.

Anyway, back to the Dingo government....

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 21st Mar, '13, 21:17

What an interesting day - and I missed it all and frankly care little for the poor effort from both sides of the house... Gillard is a bloody disgrace of a PM - if she stood for something, she could have made an impact but instead will be known an opportunistic back stabbing succubus who let the down the team. She is by far my least favorite Aussie politician and I don't like Abbott but even he doesn't ooze with as much hypocrisy as 'that woman'. She stood for something in her life - but instead of continuing it - she panders to the lowest common denominator and still gets it wrong.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 22nd Mar, '13, 07:50

Oh how fickle the unwashed public are!

Less than 3 years ago a large number of Australians on this very board really looked forward to Gillard becoming PM.
Joseph27 wrote:Agree Tas - Abbott excels in that political space and I can't envisage how I could vote for him, and Rudd is thoroughly unlikable and I wont vote for him again. I would happily back Gillard because she is very capable - she reminds me of my old boss :) Its only months now until a Poll is called so we have another fun time ahead of us...
Tas wrote:the day will come in a century or so, where the need to make any reference to the gender of a leader will not even occur to anyone...

Gillard is straight up competent, and Tony Abbott & Christopher Pyne look like pathetic whiny boys each and every time they come up against her. Liberals only look re-united because Mad Abbott is playing the old game of fear and hate politics - a zone they are much more comfortable in.
daffodil wrote:
baloo wrote:I think Gillard will make a great PM. And Gender has nothing to do with it.
Absolutely agree, she is a straight talker and doesn't suffer fools gladly. Including the MAd Monk and co.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 22nd Mar, '13, 10:37

I haven't said anything or made comment recently or necessarily changed my opinion, so no idea why I'm being quoted by Fat Bob? His usual lack of comprehension ability or guess he's looking for a bite. So here's your nibble fat one: I hate Kevin Rudd, and I hate Tony Abbott. So not much choice left for me. And my opinion on what I understand about her work ethic, and ability to manage significant quantity of legislation in a complex parliament is damned impressive and has not changed. I still think the fact she's an unmarried childless woman makes her a target for a lot of people for the wrong reasons. I still think Gillard stands for equitable education, but has to battle the private school lawyer mob that control so much of the parliament. The recent media legislation however was very poorly handled - but I'm not harking on it. And I think the white anting KRudd has been shown up for the narcist cretin he is yet again after all this. The labor party has however, kicked a ridiculous own goal, and Crean has fallen and showed appalling judgement.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 22nd Mar, '13, 10:52

Tas - :fblike:

I don't recall bagging JG on here either. I am, however, bitterly disappointed and frustrated with the ALP, they have made clowns of themselves and I'm doubtful whether the Australian public will overlook / forgive this latest party implode.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 22nd Mar, '13, 11:22

FatBob shooting with blanks again.

But in saying that she hasn't been as good as I expected her to be. Both her performance and the ALPs. The fact Abbott is still the opposition leader and favorite to be the next PM is proof Gillard and ALP have struggled.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 23rd Mar, '13, 09:55

Well I don't think she is anywhere near as bad as the media is building it up to be. The stupid ALP is seriously to blame for their own infighting etc, but I think she has handled herself just fine during all of this, and apart from the latest thing with the media legislation I see no wrong really, and certainly better than the opposition has done on a state level that is for sure. As for a choice between her and the abbot creature...well there is no choice.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 23rd Mar, '13, 12:38

These two would make a very dangerous (not to mention shiny) combo.
Attachments
bleugh.jpg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Mar, '13, 13:30

Got three bites then, didn't I....and I wasn't even looking for one!

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 23rd Mar, '13, 14:06

That picture is downright scary K...is Gina nibbling the ear of her butler ? :?

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 24th Mar, '13, 19:29

Fat Bob wrote:Oh how fickle the unwashed public are!

Less than 3 years ago a large number of Australians on this very board really looked forward to Gillard becoming PM.
Joseph27 wrote:Agree Tas - Abbott excels in that political space and I can't envisage how I could vote for him, and Rudd is thoroughly unlikable and I wont vote for him again. I would happily back Gillard because she is very capable - she reminds me of my old boss :) Its only months now until a Poll is called so we have another fun time ahead of us...
Hey I hoped - and as always I was disappointed. As it stands right now - I will vote Liberal next election with either Julian Assange or Australia Sex Party for Senate.... Gillard of course managed to very narrowly win that poll however as we all remember - she the squandered every opportunity to actually make a difference. Between a Howard and a Gillard I will take a Howard every time - (and now an Abbott) because I know he is a typical politician, he will at least stand for all that he always stood for. Gillard had an opportunity and rather than do good - and yet she pandered to the lowest common denominator. It is okay to be suitably screwed by those who we know will naturally screw us... But when it comes to those who previously stood with us; well that hurts. Gillard has been a sh1t PM - and a questionable human being