Happy 85th Liz!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Happy 85th Liz!

Post by Fat Bob » 12th May, '11, 08:54

Queen Elizabeth II (the Queen of half the world) is 85 today! Long may she reign!

And she was hot at one point too!

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Re: Happy 85th Liz!

Post by Pinklepurr » 12th May, '11, 11:05

I do hope she got that Ipad she was after....surely the grandkids got one for her.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 12th May, '11, 11:33

Great photo of young Liz - not sure I've seen many (if any, actually) of her as a young woman.

Out of curiosity, who would you rather see succeed her - Charles or William? Is that the Queen's choice, or does Charles have to abdicate in order for William to take over?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 12th May, '11, 11:56

why does she have a Grenadier's badge on her hat?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 12th May, '11, 13:59

Sorry, the photos are actually due to Liz being the second longest reigning monarch in England/UK. Liz is the Colonel-in-Chief of the Grenadier Gaurds, but I'm unclear when she became such. Liz did serve in the ATS in WWII, I think photo is of this period.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 12th May, '11, 14:20

Watched The Kings Speech the other week, really enjoyed, got me thinking that it was quite an interesting little piece of history. So when there was a doco the other week on the real kings speech, not disputing the movie, but a doco including quite a bit of footage of the time, recordings and former patients of the speech therapy chap it became quite an interesting watch, particularly given the cross over to WWII of these events.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 12th May, '11, 15:16

With thanks to Wiki:

"The Queen's Official Birthday, also known as "the Queen's Birthday" is the day on which the birthday of the monarch of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms is officially celebrated later than the actual day of the current monarch's birthday. The exact date of the celebration varies from country to country, and marks the real birthday of the sovereign only by coincidence (the current monarch, Elizabeth II, was born on 21 April 1926)."
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 12th May, '11, 20:48

slinky wrote:Great photo of young Liz - not sure I've seen many (if any, actually) of her as a young woman.

Out of curiosity, who would you rather see succeed her - Charles or William? Is that the Queen's choice, or does Charles have to abdicate in order for William to take over?
The latter I'd think, though I'm no expert on the Royals.

As to your first question, who cares? They're all barmy hangers-on anyway ;)
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.