Revolution in Egypt

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Revolution in Egypt

Post by Mr Oz » 29th Jan, '11, 03:10

Looks like it may now be unstoppable....
Al Jazeera's reporting the army is on the streets protecting the protestors!
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Re: Revolution in Egypt

Post by Joseph27 » 1st Feb, '11, 10:46

This is a scary development - these protest start off with a righteous groundswell but are usually hijacked by strongest alternative... in Egypts case, this means the brotherhood. In Iran it was the Ayatollah and Co. Right now it wouldnt be a nice thing to be a middle class Egyption in Cairo with a new condo...
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 1st Feb, '11, 10:53

The army is out on the side of the protesting masses - yay, democracy! But...democracy in the Middle East usually means Islamic nutjobbery in charge.

So, that US$1.5 billion in foreign aid to Egypt which the US has spent every year for decades to buy the peace between them and Israel seems a waste. Stop that funding immediately. And cut Israel's by 50% too, while we're at it.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 1st Feb, '11, 12:17

Isnt a big part of that $1.5billion of foreign aid really just overpriced military equipment from the US? Hate to use the term military industrial complex but hey these giants get the US tax payer to foot the bill and send weapons of war disguised as foreign aid. Everyone sounds good until things start exploding...

One cavaet - I say US tax payer when I should say - US tax payers great grand child
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 1st Feb, '11, 12:37

A lot of the aid to Isreal (which is, I think, around U$3bil/yr) comes with the caveat that it must be spent on US military purchases. I am not sure about Egypt.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt