Milk

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Re: Milk

Post by nev » 21st May, '12, 17:02

I found another brand that's delicious, but UHT only, Emborg.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 21st Jul, '12, 10:31

Just reading all the hoohah about milk permeate and thought of this thread. Not that I can drink milk, but wondered what all of you that do use it think of it? Could it be the problem with some of the milk you've tried in Sg?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wLvrJd73as

edit: Ha! Hadn't watched right to the end when I posted that, and now I know Pura uses it and A2 doesn't.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 21st Jul, '12, 13:04

Kooky wrote:Just reading all the hoohah about milk permeate and thought of this thread. Not that I can drink milk, but wondered what all of you that do use it think of it? Could it be the problem with some of the milk you've tried in Sg?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wLvrJd73as

edit: Ha! Hadn't watched right to the end when I posted that, and now I know Pura uses it and A2 doesn't.
Wow now I know why I don't like the taste of Pura, too watery and weird-tasting.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 23rd Jul, '12, 09:53

actually, there is hope:
But dairy farmers across Australia are split about the latest permeate debate, which has resulted in most major milk brands, such as Pura, Coles, Dairy Farmers and Woolworths, deciding to drop permeate additives from their milk early this month.
article from July 21st

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 23rd Jul, '12, 10:08

I don't even know if it's a bad thing that it's in some milks, M - it's natural, after all - but I'm glad they're having to come clean about its inclusion so the consumer can make up their own mind.

I was brought up on a farm, the dairy adjoining my house, and so I was used to the freshest, creamiest, unpasteurised milk. Drank gallons of it. Years later here I am with a bovine dairy intolerance and, whilst I do still have an ice-cream addiction, I think I'd barf if I had to drink a glass of it. More watered down the better for me :(

edit: TBH I'm more concerned that farmers get fair prices from supermarkets, with all these ridiculous price wars going on.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 23rd Jul, '12, 11:24

I guess because I've looked a lot at co products and wasteminimization I'm far less bothered by the permeate thing, other than as a taste quality issue, and/or micro quality issue. As I understand it it is permeate off the cheese production process (to read up further), that still has a high protein count, but at end of day still a milk/dairy product stream. Sadly people haven't really got the gist of sustainability in perspective where it is concerned - no one has stopped to think what happens to that permeate stream if it isn't legitimately reused - instead it was has to find an alternative use or become a waste stream - waste treatment is high costs in capital and energy - adding yet more carbon footprint and costs to the production, as well as other emissions.

Interestingly I can't stand Pura milk and refused to buy years ago LOL I buy Dairy Farmers, boycott the Coles/Woolies milk but stopped buying A2 despite liking its taste because something wrong with the supply chain somewhere as it has gone off several times prior useby and was annoyed with a high priced product.

I've always been a bit fascinated by consumer desire to buy the low fat diet etc products, as they haven't stopped to think what jiggery pokery (replacement, additions, dilutiones, energy for fat separation) has gone on to get there, and probably buying a lower food quality item at a higher cost. I've always preferred the higher fat, less fiddled with products and consume sensibly.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 24th Jul, '12, 10:07

Tas wrote: stopped buying A2 despite liking its taste because something wrong with the supply chain somewhere as it has gone off several times prior useby and was annoyed with a high priced product.
I remember having this problem with Brownes' milk (is it still in the market? Have not seen them in Singapore for ages). The use by date is still a few days away but I was pouring chunks into my glass [smilie=barfluous.gif] That said, I still miss Brownes' Coffee Chill.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 24th Jul, '12, 10:16

Tas wrote:I've always been a bit fascinated by consumer desire to buy the low fat diet etc products, as they haven't stopped to think what jiggery pokery (replacement, additions, dilutiones, energy for fat separation) has gone on to get there, and probably buying a lower food quality item at a higher cost. I've always preferred the higher fat, less fiddled with products and consume sensibly.
I agree with you in general on that, Tas, but skim milk done the way it should be is just whole milk with the cream (fat) removed, so nothing added.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 24th Jul, '12, 10:28

:) Am ex dairy colleague /friend killed me with the light milk, was saying why you bothering with that crap, it's just the wash off the separators hahaha - bloody boys

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Jul, '12, 11:54

Milk never lasted more than a day or two in the UK when the milk man delivered it. I'm surprised I can find milk (non-UHT) that has sell-by dates of 2-3 weeks.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Jul, '12, 11:58

Fat Bob wrote:Milk never lasted more than a day or two in the UK when the milk man delivered it. I'm surprised I can find milk (non-UHT) that has sell-by dates of 2-3 weeks.

yeah, same here. Fresh milk shouldn't last more than a couple of days.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 24th Jul, '12, 12:18

Agreed. However in those days it would probably have sat around, not refrigerated, for some time.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 24th Jul, '12, 12:20

Kooky wrote:Agreed. However in those days it would probably have sat around, not refrigerated, for some time.
We were lucky, we had electricity.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 24th Jul, '12, 12:30

You're not far wrong. We didn't own a fridge until I was 12. We had a cold room. Actually, we had a cold house :o

The milk you got delivered might be on the milk float several hours, on your doorstep even more. On small farms like ours, it was placed in a churn and stuck on the end of the lane for collection for some time too.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 24th Jul, '12, 16:09

So, do you religiously buy fresh milk only, or is UHT OK for you?

I'm OK with UHT because it saves me multiple trips to the grocery store, I just buy in bulk. I drink about 4 litres a week.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 24th Jul, '12, 17:26

Aliya wrote:We have always called it cow juice. I remember as a kid growing up on a dairy farm playing squirting games with the milk as you milked it from the cow, could you get a squirt directly into your bros mouth, if you did you won! The MissesA are going that have that lifestyle in Godzone soon and I cant wait.

No milk here tastes like real milk :(. But back to Meiji, I always thought as Japanese must be nuked to death, do you really mean it has no additives? Will look when shopping next time.
I always use Meiji low fat on me cornflakes and Marigold fully leaded in me coffee. Both taste alright to me [smilie=party0021.gif]
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Jul, '12, 18:59

nev wrote:So, do you religiously buy fresh milk only, or is UHT OK for you?

I'm OK with UHT because it saves me multiple trips to the grocery store, I just buy in bulk. I drink about 4 litres a week.
I don't even get through 1L a week, and head to grocery store more often buying fresh veg (or as fresh as you can get in Singapore) so it's never a worry to me.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 24th Jul, '12, 22:28

only fresh, full fat milk, about 5-6 litres a week. but then, there's me and Little M drinking it...

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 25th Jul, '12, 08:23

I go thru 2L a week, that excludes the work provision - where I have tea and my cereal, so not really sure what I'm putting it in at home, though I know I have a lot of milo and milk in winter.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th Jul, '12, 08:42

I buy 8-10 liters of fresh skim milk per week. 4 milk drinkers in this house :D I buy a small container of half&half for tea as well.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 25th Jul, '12, 09:08

reminds you how important cows are to our little existences :)

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 25th Jul, '12, 09:16

I just read back through this thread, comforting to know I'm still telling the same "when I were a lass" stories :D

The fabulous Doc Lee advised against drinking milk if you're prone to colds and sinus problems, Tas, so maybe lay off it a bit this week?

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 25th Jul, '12, 09:26

My full allergy screening came back with a positive to dairy. Lucky I'm not a big dairy consumer.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 25th Jul, '12, 13:06

It looks to me that you all prefer fresh to UHT. Out of curiosity, why?

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th Jul, '12, 13:15

For me, it's a taste thing - I just find fresh milk to taste better than UHT. However, I have been meaning to look out for some organic UHT skim milk a friend told me about. She said so long as it's very cold it tastes as good as fresh. Of course I've forgotten the name now :roll: