Milk

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Re: Milk

Post by Tas » 25th Jul, '12, 13:27

Taste. UHT has a background taste not present in the fresh milk.

Probably related also to what had from childhood. I happened to grow up in a state where some of the best produce in the world was being grown for the cool temperate climate, which includes the moo cows feed. What ever pisstake people enjoy making a about size of state, culture blah blah blah, still has one of the most environmentally / agriculturally rich environments priveileged to be born into.

Having spent a fairly decent amount of time in Asia have observed that issues relating to climate near equator, and/or infrastructure for power and hence cold storage in other regions, plus dairy products traditionally less prevelant in diet prior to globalisation, UHT and powdered milk products more prevalent and likely an influence on taste preferences.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th Jul, '12, 13:36

Fresh milk here too, but I don't drink it myself, I use full fat milk for Wolfie (3 or 4%?). I'm happy to say that he hates flavored milk or any of the hi-cal variants on the market, I think they're gross.

I do keep small packets of UHT on hand for the mornings when I realize we're out of fresh milk as I'm attempting to cook Wolfie's porridge before school. Lifesaver.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 25th Jul, '12, 13:47

Not all UHT brands taste good, but then this is also the case with fresh milk. To me, only Emborg and Greenfields UHT taste just like fresh milk.

2singaporeigo
Lurker
Mood: Fine

Post by 2singaporeigo » 23rd Sep, '12, 11:08

I'm replying let to this post and not sure who is still active, but according to my research and the back of the carton of Meiji milk, it's not from Japan. It's from
Malaysia. I would like to find raw milk here in Singapore because I think it's the healthiest but I don't think it's allowed here in Singapore.

Organic pasteurized milk has been so overly pasteurized that it's lost so many nutritional benefits. And, it's very hard to determine where exactly the milk is coming from. Labels can be deceiving.

I would like to find a milk where the cows are raised in Australia and the milk transported here. However, again, due to transportation time and pasteurization, the quality is going to be affected.

I guess there are no easy answers here and what it boils down to is picking the best of the worst.

Any recommendations?

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 23rd Sep, '12, 11:38

You can't get any unpastuerized milk imported.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

2singaporeigo
Lurker

Post by 2singaporeigo » 23rd Sep, '12, 12:50

Yes, I know I can't get any unpasteurized milk imported.

I am on a mission today to try and find Australian milk FROM Australia.

Thanks for your reply.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Sep, '12, 13:00

Marigold and Farmhouse are two brands that I can think of. Available in Cold Storage. What's the issue?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

2singaporeigo
Lurker

Post by 2singaporeigo » 23rd Sep, '12, 15:15

I'm looking for milk made using Australian cow milk solely due to the fact they are mostly grassfed. I have been doing research and want to limit the exposure to antibiotics and grain fed cows.

Today, I bought Pura, Vishnu, and Farmhouse. We are going to do a taste test as a family and I'll do more research into these three to determine farming practices, etc.

I'm basically looking for the healthiest and I want grass fed from Australia