Blocking calls

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Blocking calls

Post by Sardonicus » 26th Jul, '13, 22:52

Old topic new incidence - I got a series of strange calls tonight. One from +65000, a couple from +8801946595177 which suggests India or Bangladesh, one from +1946595177 which is partially the same number.

Could be a mistake or some kind of scam.

A few years back there were stories here about answering certain calls would incur large fees, not sure if that was an urban myth.

Also, any ideas of how to track down a number? I tried Googling but that rarely works.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Blocking calls

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Jul, '13, 07:50

It's unlikely that you could incur such large charges when you answer such calls.

To block, then there are various apps, however, it does depend on which OS you are using.

I have a Galaxy S3 LTE which is running on Android 4.something. I use AVG Antivirus Free which has a call and message blocker. However, they only work in two ways: block anything that's not in your contact list, or create a black list of people who can't get through. So you've either got to seriously restrict who can phone you or you have to know who the bad people are.

I think there are other options to save your sleep: I'm sure I've seen an app which will restrict who can call you depending on the time of day etc.

Some of these may cost, you pays your money, you take your choice.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 27th Jul, '13, 09:19

Good to know, thanks.

I'm still on ICS, and have AVG, didn't know it had that feature, will use that. Since I posted the above been getting more calls from that number and variations of it.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Jul, '13, 09:57

Seems there are some other options in the standard OS, but that may depend on version.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how ... martphone/
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 27th Jul, '13, 10:44

<headsmack> I actually found that same link when searching for apps to do this, this works just fine and I uninstalled the apps I loaded just for this.

Now if I could only find a traceback site for unknown numbers.......

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 27th Jul, '13, 12:56

Spam texts are the biggest issue for me, if only half of them were legitimate I'd be a (peso) billionaire by now !
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

sgsavvy
Lurker
Mood: good

Post by sgsavvy » 28th Jul, '13, 09:57

Sardonicus wrote:<headsmack> I actually found that same link when searching for apps to do this, this works just fine and I uninstalled the apps I loaded just for this.

Now if I could only find a traceback site for unknown numbers.......
hey,

try this: http://www.searchyellowbook.com/reverse-phone/65/

you might be able to trace something. never used them so am not too sure
looking for people to participate in a free diet research program. Time and Transport will be compensated. Pm for details

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 28th Jul, '13, 11:28

daffodil wrote:Spam texts are the biggest issue for me, if only half of them were legitimate I'd be a (peso) billionaire by now !
Again, you can get apps to screen your texts and strip out the ones that seem like spam. You have to have a few key words, I get spammed by housing agents but luckily by Singapore law they must use [ADV] or <ADV> so they are easy to detect and strip out.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 28th Jul, '13, 13:23

Also get quite a few from housing agents selling the latest condominiums off plan, note them as spam on my Samsung once the text arrives.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 29th Jul, '13, 09:32

i have had that happen a while back. consistently added every not local unknown number to block list and after a few weeks it stopped.