Diana's death

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Diana's death

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Feb, '08, 06:43

Why is this still haunting the press? Or are the press haunting us with it?

However, I did read this and thought "No shit sherlock". Why would MI6 say "yes, we were plotting to kill Diana and Dodi"?

She died in a car crash. WTF do we need a GBP10m (or did I read GBP10b) inquest into it?

And WTF do I get a pound symbol from??!?!?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Re: Diana's death

Post by Burbage » 27th Feb, '08, 08:25

FAT BOB DENIES INVOLVEMENT IN LUCAN DISAPPEARANCE

Recently suspicion has grown that Fat Bob, denizen of a number of message boards in the Singapore region and resident of the small island one-party state, was involved in the disappearance of Lord Lucan. Lucan, who mysteriously disappeared on November 8 1974, is suspected of killing his children's nanny.

A new witness has come forward to this newspaper to say that she believes she saw Lord Lucan in Liecester in late November 1974, talking to a small overweight boy. Lucan and the boy appeared to be "planning something" she said.

MI6, when approached, denied any knowledge of the involvemet of Fat Bob in the case, but did admit that the British government probably does have a file on him. They also denied that the search for Lord Lucan has shifted to Singapore. However a large number of people wearing sunglasses has recently been noted in Singapore.
Burbage Press

See? It's possible to write anything in a newspaper.

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 27th Feb, '08, 09:28

Fat Bob wrote: And WTF do I get a pound symbol from??!?!?
Go to accessories, system tools, open Character Map. Choose, copy & paste. "£"

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Feb, '08, 09:53

when I was 3⅔ old? (couldn't find ½....oh, I can now) I don't think so Burb.

Ah, yes, can now talk in £. Oh, you can hold down "Alt" and hit "0163" and it appears: £. Might have to learn a few more, I use quite a lot like
greek delta...shit, no keystroke code.

But over all coolarama!

9and you can assign hot keys to the characters in word....why can't MS make it computer wide and not in a single application?)
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 27th Feb, '08, 11:47

Fat Bob wrote:
9and you can assign hot keys to the characters in word....why can't MS make it computer wide and not in a single application?)
Because many programs use their own set key mapping. In fact I now see that Internet explorer is using the alt+e combo, which means that the euro symbol in some key mapping is buggered up.

One of the reasons I went back to word 97 was that I couldn't find how to assign key combos to symbols in the more recent versions of word. How doyou do it FB, if I'm ever forced to upgrade.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 27th Feb, '08, 11:59

Of course the point I was making is that journalists will often turn a negative response into a major headline, based on the number of readers who see nouns and not verbs so a casual question such as, "Your Holiness, have you ever been to the moon" to which the pope replies "no" and next day the headline to an utterly nonsensical story reads:

POPE DENIES INVOLVEMENT IN MOON LANDINGS.

A surprising number of stories, particularly on slow news days, are of this type (though not quite as silly as this example), which is why officials always issue "no comment" instead of saying "no".

Raffles
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: ?

Post by Raffles » 27th Feb, '08, 14:45

Fat Bob wrote:Why is this still haunting the press? Or are the press haunting us with it?

However, I did read this and thought "No shit sherlock". Why would MI6 say "yes, we were plotting to kill Diana and Dodi"?

She died in a car crash. WTF do we need a GBP10m (or did I read GBP10b) inquest into it?

And WTF do I get a pound symbol from??!?!?

Well Bob when the economy goes 'tits-up' or is about to then the government and its' cronies find something unrelated to rant about,. The idea being that people, fools that they are will be so engrossed with some work of fiction they might just not notice their gas bill rising by 21%, council tax by 4%, increases in electricity prices while the energy companies make massive profits and at the same time wage rises in the public sector being restricted to 1%. All politics!

Ps: Baffled about £ key?

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 27th Feb, '08, 14:53

Why is 'tits-up' a bad thing. Surely 'tits-down' would be more appropriate. Never heard a woman complain about overly perky breasts
We are the TPF

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 27th Feb, '08, 14:55

BoD wrote:Never heard a woman complain about overly perky breasts
or a man for that matter
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Feb, '08, 16:22

Using Word 2002 at work and I think 2003 at home, then to assign a key press to a certain character then just got to Insert->Symbol, find the character and highlight, then hit the "Shortcut Key". Input your shortcut key and save to the normal template. For instance, the degree symbol I've assign to CTRL-SHIFT-ALT+O, the greek delta to CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D, and both work even after years ago doing them. Which is good.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 28th Feb, '08, 05:34

That sounds similar to Word 97, but I couldn't figure out how to work it in the new version. Can't remember which one they wanted me to use though.

Pity everyone doesn't use the French keyboard. Pound sign, mu and degree symbol are all on it. You'd still have to put delta in through a key map.

I just use shift-alt-m for mu and shift-alt-o for degree symbol.