Visa PayWave

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Visa PayWave

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Sep, '12, 17:51

Yeah, selected merchants do subscribe to Verified by VISA (don't know what the Mastercard one is) which gives you a bit more security online. And yes, one of mine gives me a message any time over a certain limit is used.

Maybe it's time the CC companies improved their usage of an authorisation code and rejecting merchants, or penalise merchants who do accept transactions without such codes where cards are illegally used.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 24th Sep, '12, 19:27

That was part of a frustrating conversation today. I said these particular items must be going in some ones name with delivery adress, how hard can it be to identify the thief. They said couldn't, I didn't agree...
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 24th Sep, '12, 19:34

That's what was so puzzling when my Krisflyer Amex was used to book a hotel - wouldn't they have had to produce the card on check-in? I don't think it was a test transaction at GBP753, especially as it was the only one. They never would tell me if they'd traced it but maybe they don't care if they have insurance for this. I would have liked to know as I had my suspicions and wanted to go slap somebody.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 24th Sep, '12, 23:06

K, we live exactly like that, everything goes through the credit card etc with the offset account. I used to hate them but now it works well. I only use cash for the boys at school and if I really have to.My online credit card buys need a pin as well, I can't buy online without one, but I like that sms idea.

Morro, I can't see the point in signing when no one checks it, surely a pin is better? You have to know it and no need for cashier to check it (which they don't do with a signature anyway) The girl at the cashier at Universal Studios today was the first person to actually look at my signature since we have been here. Tap and go works before you know it...
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Sep, '12, 23:13

I ran a 3 month trial where I signed my name as anything I could think of. Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Pocoyo, Tarzan, Barrack Obama, Elvis Presley, Tony The Tiger - you name it, I probably signed with it.

Never did anyone check nor was there ever a query from the Bank. Signing means Sweet FA in this country.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 25th Sep, '12, 05:27

In Sg most places used to give me my card back, signature up, as if ready for me to copy. I commented on it a number of times but was met with blank looks.

In the UK these days they are put out if you can't do it by PIN - which with foreign cards you can't. One shop wouldn't accept my card (thankfully I still have a UK account with a DR card) and the girl in Argos didn't know how to process a card without a PIN. Then again the only way they had to do it was with a swipe machine :lol: (There's a little Japanese restaurant here that still uses one of those, too.)

I had a quick look last night on the NAB site and will be investigating added security, SMS authority, etc., more closely, so thanks for mentioning that. After my issues booking the Bali villa the other month I will also remember to let them know about our trip to Sg, so I can go shopping without worrying it will be refused [smilie=groovy.gif]

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 25th Sep, '12, 14:01

baloo wrote:I ran a 3 month trial where I signed my name as anything I could think of. Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Pocoyo, Tarzan, Barrack Obama, Elvis Presley, Tony The Tiger - you name it, I probably signed with it.

Never did anyone check nor was there ever a query from the Bank. Signing means Sweet FA in this country.
I don't know. I went into a Citibank branch to set up a PIN for my new ATM card and, of course, I had to talk them into accepting my drivers license to prove my identity first (I ask you, who walks around with their passport on them 24/7 anyway??) Anyhow, I had to sign something and they pulled up the stuff I had signed to open the account and I could tell the 2 of them were checking the signatures and were probably thinking of declining to let me do anything. My signature is different looking just about every time I sign it - I'm just not one of those people who can make it look exactly the same on any given day. Anyhow, I think my insistence that they accept my DL as acceptable ID to prove who I am -- it does have my photo on it -- gave them pause and they decided to let me go ahead and set up the PIN. Sometimes I don't even really have to play my 'scary foreigner lady' card to get things done ;) [smilie=w00t.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 25th Sep, '12, 14:14

Yeah, you're right. The banks here are the complete opposite when it comes to verifying signatures to work accounts at their branches. I've been annoyed a few times because I was asked to re-sign because it didn't match the specimen they have.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 26th Sep, '12, 10:47

i seem to recall that when they introduced the pay and wave cards in Australia within one month some smartass had come up with a scanner that would allow them to 'pay and wave' money off your card while it was still in your wallet in your back pocket...

PP: the signing is for me to have another point of proof that a transaction wasn't mine.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 26th Sep, '12, 11:07

Morro: on Singapore-based cards, the card holder agreement clearly states that you are responsible for ALL spending on your card, up until you report it stolen (and for some after). Having your signature on the slip means nothing.

I'm not sure who you could sue to recover fraudulent use of your card. Probably the store owner and the bank are protected so you'd have to chase the person who committed the fraud.

Best of luck!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 26th Sep, '12, 11:09

I did get my 753 quid refunded, at least.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 26th Sep, '12, 11:46

Fat Bob wrote:Morro: on Singapore-based cards, the card holder agreement clearly states that you are responsible for ALL spending on your card, up until you report it stolen (and for some after). Having your signature on the slip means nothing.
How do they get away with that?? I'll gladly take the foreign currency fees (they don't really add up to that much & when Mr. S incurs them on business travel, he gets reimbursed anyway) and the hassles I have here and there for using US based credit cards (yes, my accounts get flagged every so often and I have to call someone to verify charges). At least if someone steals my card I have protection against fraudulent spending.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 26th Sep, '12, 13:09

It's a case of "like it or lump it".

Poppy Appeal

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 26th Sep, '12, 15:53

I thought the liability was now limited to 100 dollars unless you had been negligent with your card.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 26th Sep, '12, 18:23

Have they changed it? Wow indeed!

Poppy Appeal