Financial Meltdown (The World)

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Re: Financial Meltdown (Lehman Brothers)

Post by Sardonicus » 24th Sep, '08, 01:05

I think it goes back further, to my old alma mater DBL.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 24th Sep, '08, 06:44

I know it sounds asinine but you ever heard of margin calling an entire economy? It would seem that if the US was a corporation it would be insolvent and simply relying on recurrent rounds of fresh funding to enable it to stay afloat. In short - the US as debt ridden Company A and its suppliers – China, Japan, Mid East – maintain a system in which these suppliers buy into the debt cycle to keep US consumers buying their wares; we come to the point where these financiers are holding ever larger amounts of debt in a system that now sits dangerously on the precipice of a total paradigm shift in the way our world works. It is a fundamentally flawed system, the juxtaposition of 'military Keynesianism', spiralling debt and a consumptive culture. A $700 billion bailout keeps the system afloat because that is all we can do; can the world afford to go it any other way?
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 25th Sep, '08, 05:12

Joesph unfortunately your words are 100% spot on

Today is insane here, lets see what happens that side tonight (your Thursday)
I predict panic by the end of this week.

My prediction last Friday was that on Monday Congress(rightly so) would start questioning coughing up $10K per US family to the Bushies with absolutely no accountability or oversight
Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency
I said That this week would be 'wasted' with squabbling over how to actually bail out these concerns w/some accountability & in the meantime we may have a major global meltdown while they 'fiddle in Rome' (Washington)

Today McCain is now trying to weasle out of his 1st head to head presdential debate
with Obama Friday night to 'concentrate on this crisis' (This is the guy who said the US Economy was fundamentally sound on Monday) He knows that Obama will mop the floor with him so he is looking for an out.

The basic problem as I see it is that the mortage brokers, investment bankers in the USA etc have already looted & ripped off everybody in the whole world. The $$ are long gone into the their pockets. Ahmadinejad may be essentially right in stating today that the era of US dominance is fast coming to an end. When things start to unravel there is a snowball effect.

I can sort of sit here & watch this unfold with less panic than others as I have my Philippine back up plan, but the rest of the populace here is pretty much f**cked.

I really wonder what the world will look like 3 months from now.
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 25th Sep, '08, 11:46

Michael Douglas was asked by reporters at the UN about the financial crisis ---- best quote from the article:
...a reporter asking: "Are you saying Gordon that greed is not good?"

"I'm not saying that," Douglas replied. "And my name is not Gordon. He's a character I played 20 years ago."
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Michael Douglas asked about Wall Street crisis

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 25th Sep, '08, 12:00

slinky wrote:Michael Douglas was asked by reporters at the UN about the financial crisis ---- best quote from the article:
...a reporter asking: "Are you saying Gordon that greed is not good?"

"I'm not saying that," Douglas replied. "And my name is not Gordon. He's a character I played 20 years ago."
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Michael Douglas asked about Wall Street crisis
sjees... :roll:

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 25th Sep, '08, 12:16

Yep, and some news agency actually pays that reporter money. Talk about wasted investments..... :shock:

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 25th Sep, '08, 12:21

So if the US governemtn is going to bail out the bankers this time, is that not going to encourage them to do the same thing again?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 25th Sep, '08, 12:36

Burbage wrote:So if the US governemtn is going to bail out the bankers this time, is that not going to encourage them to do the same thing again?
ethics and morals
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 25th Sep, '08, 12:50

baloo wrote:
Burbage wrote:So if the US governemtn is going to bail out the bankers this time, is that not going to encourage them to do the same thing again?
ethics and morals
We're all doomed!

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 25th Sep, '08, 14:52

I like what Clinton has been saying about this in regards to tying the bailout to rewards for the public. There is no use giving $700billion without considerable caveats or these pricks will do it again - at least the ones who dont take massive payouts first. With proper oversight this can rescue the market but boy it is still going to be rough getting credit for business over the next months to years.....
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 25th Sep, '08, 14:57

Seeing Paulson state that they shouldn't try to limit the executive salaries with the bail out is amusing. He'd made shit loads, in the hundreds of millions, while he headed up Goldman Sacks.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 25th Sep, '08, 16:33

someone sent me the original draft of Paulson's proposal...

Dear American:

I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to wallstreetbailout@treasury.gov so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Yours Faithfully Minister of Treasury Paulson

Henry Merritt “Hank” Paulson Jr. is the United States Treasury Secretary and member of the International Monetary Fund Board of Governors. He previously served as the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Goldman Sachs.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 26th Sep, '08, 12:29

I see Sergeant Rudd has piped up. World needs tougher world financial regulations, he says. Well, duh. But a bit rich coming from the PM of a country that's allowed it's population to over-borrow like crazy.

BFG
I post here professionally
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 26th Sep, '08, 12:50

Burbage wrote:I see Sergeant Rudd has piped up. World needs tougher world financial regulations, he says. Well, duh. But a bit rich coming from the PM of a country that's allowed it's population to over-borrow like crazy.
Allowing adults to make their own financial decisions?

Whatever next??

[smilie=tease.gif]
Life's too short...

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 26th Sep, '08, 12:59

Allowing its banks to mercilessly exploit stupid people.

BFG

Post by BFG » 26th Sep, '08, 13:59

People allowing themselves to be exploited?
Life's too short...

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 26th Sep, '08, 14:23

Letting stupid irrespnsible people do what they want is why we're in this mess in the first place.

BFG

Post by BFG » 26th Sep, '08, 15:01

Burbage wrote:Letting stupid irrespnsible people do what they want is why we're in this mess in the first place.
True. But, unfortunately, we can't change that without reveiving your plan to topple Burma and expanding it to include world domination.

Your world, that is...
Life's too short...

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 26th Sep, '08, 15:49

BFG wrote: we can't change that without reveiving your plan to topple Burma and expanding it to include world domination.
I like your thinking. As an original member of Burb's army I'm up for it, as long as I get my cut. Shall we say, France? If it takes longer than a fortnight I want Italy too.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 26th Sep, '08, 15:49

And finally Washington Mutual has also given up... and Alitalia seems to make another go around.

BFG

Post by BFG » 26th Sep, '08, 15:55

cromasaig wrote:
BFG wrote: we can't change that without reveiving your plan to topple Burma and expanding it to include world domination.
I like your thinking. As an original member of Burb's army I'm up for it, as long as I get my cut. Shall we say, France? If it takes longer than a fortnight I want Italy too.
You can have the France except for the bits that make nice wine - I've already got first dibs on them....
Life's too short...

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 29th Sep, '08, 07:49

Ooo er bit freaky on the money that one huh!

I ain't no financial guru, and don't understand half of it. But really now, how much do you need to understand about the world, other than good old fashioned sense, that handing over money with naught supervision, naught conditions, naught limitations on salaries doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense.

Morrolan wrote:someone sent me the original draft of Paulson's proposal...

Dear American:

I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to wallstreetbailout@treasury.gov so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Yours Faithfully Minister of Treasury Paulson

Henry Merritt “Hank” Paulson Jr. is the United States Treasury Secretary and member of the International Monetary Fund Board of Governors. He previously served as the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Goldman Sachs.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 29th Sep, '08, 07:53

I think people should leave salaries in Investment Banks alone. You don't understand. :oops:

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 29th Sep, '08, 08:35

huh? I presume you're having a funny?
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 29th Sep, '08, 08:50