Financial Meltdown (The World)

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Re: Financial Meltdown (Lehman Brothers)

Post by canuck » 29th Sep, '08, 09:19

and bradford and bingley

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 29th Sep, '08, 10:54

The banking industry is probably more heavily regulated than any other. Also remember that most people in investment banks do not earn a huge amount of money. That said, I have no particular problem with paying people who make a lot of money huge bonuses, but what does need to be looked at is how the compensation relates to risk.
We are the TPF

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 29th Sep, '08, 11:00

canuck wrote:and bradford and bingley
:D Hardly big news for the rest of the world, but I just read that Santander is buying them. They seem to be buying all the old building societies up; my money in Jersey is now with them.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 29th Sep, '08, 11:13

I've not a problem with people being rewarded for creating wealth and business that creates jobs and flow on effect etc etc I do actually get it. But there's stuff that goes on with CEOs that get golden handshakes kiss off's when they've royally fucked up big time that says to me there is something wrong - and in the topic being discussed here, which is a bail out by government funds for basically the shyte stuff with tax payers monies, then executive remuniration aint something that should go unaddressed.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 29th Sep, '08, 11:20

It's hard being a trader..

Year 1/2: Join Bank A on a big fat guaranteed bonus - no incentive to do anything much. But no downside for taking a loads of risk. If it works out, get even bigger bonus
Year 3 : No guarantee, so have to do some work. Put on some nice 10 years trades stuctured so that you take the profit up front. Make loads of money - get big bonus
Year 4 : Leave to go to bank B - with a new guarantee
Year 5 : Markets collapse. Trades put on at Bank A lose loads of money, but its OK as have a guarantee from Bank B
We are the TPF

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 29th Sep, '08, 11:25

BoD wrote:The banking industry is probably more heavily regulated than any other.
While I can't disagree, I can't help but think that Banking has grown into something it shouldn't. Looking at purely domestic banking, it's one of the foundations of society. A place to store our money and a place to borrow some if we have a need. There really should be some further control on what your local bank can sell Mom & Pop over the counter, and badger them to do so. Some of the products sold over the last few years are quite difficult to comprehend and I'd bet for the most part even the person selling them doesn't understand what they are selling. Surely there needs to be more regulation there. Getting the consumer to sign a 15 page document full of legal jargon that basically says "We're not responsible for what we sell you" is hardly fair.

This credit crunch came about primarily from selling big housing loans for people who couldn't afford it. It drove the major economies in the recent years. Banking, Building, Consumer Goods, Services all ran riot because people were getting access to money they shouldn't have.

I really don't think it will hurt to go back to the days when credit was something that was given after you could convince people that you were good for it. 20% minimum deposit and proven savings record worked in the past, I reckon similar restrictions should be put in place again.

The banks were chasing the almighty profit. The effect on society at the time was a booming economy driven by credit which kept society happy and their governments happy. While the root cause might be banks greed, everyone was in on the game and got what they could out of it.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 29th Sep, '08, 11:29

HOW TO SUPPORT THE US ECONOMY

Economist Dr. Marc Faber concluded his monthly bulletin (June 2008) with the following:

''The federal government is sending each of us a $600 rebate. If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, the money goes to China. If we spend it on gasoline it goes to the Arabs. If we buy a computer it will go to India. If we purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras and Guatemala.

If we purchase a good car it will go to Germany. If we purchase useless crap it will go to Taiwan and none of it will help the American economy. The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it on prostitutes and beer, since these are the only products still produced in US. I've been doing my part ."
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 29th Sep, '08, 11:34

Agree about the misleading selling of structured products. Calling the Lehmans 'mini bond notes ' bonds is misleading in the extreme. How many 'mom and pops' had any concept of the risk they were actually taking.
We are the TPF

BFG
I post here professionally
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 29th Sep, '08, 12:32

Spike - you are an economic guru.

Well done...

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]
Life's too short...

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 29th Sep, '08, 16:10

Kooky wrote:
canuck wrote:and bradford and bingley
:D Hardly big news for the rest of the world, but I just read that Santander is buying them. They seem to be buying all the old building societies up; my money in Jersey is now with them.
They had to be bailed out earlier this year. Tw of the smaller building societies have been bought by Nationwide (after the government asked them to do so). Wachovia seems to be in trouble as well adn they were one of the potential candidates to take bits of Lehman and/or Morgan Stanley

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 29th Sep, '08, 18:58

BFG wrote:Spike - you are an economic guru.
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]
It has been said...but not often.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 29th Sep, '08, 20:36

does anyone have details on what happened with Fortis, exactly? Taken over by three countries and hardly a whisper on the details. Morrolan?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 29th Sep, '08, 20:45

Wachovia gone. Citibank taking them over, Fed guaranteeing some of the toxic debt and in return getting a stake in Citibank.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 30th Sep, '08, 06:00

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7641733.stm

So, no Federal bail-out after all.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 30th Sep, '08, 06:16

Very interesting. Stocks have plummeted once again so any of you have any predictions of where this mess is headed?
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 30th Sep, '08, 06:20

Anybody know what deposit point is guaranteed in Australian banks? if any?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 30th Sep, '08, 06:54

Hmmmm.....at what point did the mortgages become "bad debt"? In order to prevent them going "bad debt", why didn't they just keep the interest rates low in order to allow the mortgagee to continue paying something? And of course, stopping this access to the money in future.

Or am I being too simple?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 30th Sep, '08, 06:57

Burbage wrote:Anybody know what deposit point is guaranteed in Australian banks? if any?
none, i think...

be ready for the worst few days in the financial markets since the 1930's and probably even worse than that.

time to put your money in gold, if you haven't already.

stock up on food and ammo, too.
Last edited by Morrolan on 30th Sep, '08, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 30th Sep, '08, 06:58

Mortgages become bad debt when the value of the property drops below the amount that the banks need to recoup to break even.

The mistake is that banks gambled money on handing out mortgages on the basis that property values never went down. But property values did go down.

That's what I understand.

skank-la
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 30th Sep, '08, 06:58

''The federal government is sending each of us a $600 rebate. If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, the money goes to China. If we spend it on gasoline it goes to the Arabs. If we buy a computer it will go to India. If we purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras and Guatemala.

If we purchase a good car it will go to Germany. If we purchase useless crap it will go to Taiwan and none of it will help the American economy. The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it on prostitutes and beer, since these are the only products still produced in US. I've been doing my part ."
]

Hate to rain on your parade but here in the states the prostitute is probably Mexican , Vietnamese or Thai & the brewer is now owned by a Belgian or UK based group.
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 30th Sep, '08, 06:59

Morrolan wrote:
Burbage wrote:Anybody know what deposit point is guaranteed in Australian banks? if any?
none, i think...
So where do I hide my bullion?? A British bank?

skank-la
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 30th Sep, '08, 07:03

So where do I hide my bullion
Real Estate (the true inflation hedge), cash, gold
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 30th Sep, '08, 07:10

Yes, I'm waiting for residency at the moment so I get a few extra thousands off the Aussie Gov. Question is, how long can I wait. As long as the bank is OK I should wait, since the real estate market will probably drop further in the short term.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 30th Sep, '08, 07:11

Burbage wrote:
Morrolan wrote: none, i think...
So where do I hide my bullion?? A British bank?
a mattress would be your safest bet right now...

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 30th Sep, '08, 07:13

avatarless wrote:does anyone have details on what happened with Fortis, exactly? Taken over by three countries and hardly a whisper on the details. Morrolan?
a simple buy-in in order to shore up confidence and prevent a run on the bank by depositors, which would crash it.