getting a job in singapore

Need help with employment issues? EPs, DPs or more money? Coming to work here?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Oxo1

Re: getting a job in singapore

Post by Oxo1 » 22nd Oct, '10, 13:15

Kooky wrote:What you spend on beer, you save on the taxi home. We realised this as we experienced the opposite, our first week in Sydney.
In fact you may save on the mandatory Kebab on the way home (the only time a Kebab should be eaten) :D.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 22nd Oct, '10, 14:39

Kooky wrote:Lichty - I brought us a new friend to play with, don't scare him. You should come with a warning: "German, lacks the 'subtle' gene". :P

(He's German, Oxo1. That's all you need to know.)

(We love each other really.)
You can't let him walk unprepared into this cougar cage....

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 22nd Oct, '10, 16:16

You don't really get kebabs here, but the good old chicken motorbike is a pretty decent substitute and can also be eaten when sober
We are the TPF

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 22nd Oct, '10, 16:27

Shiraz kebabs aren't bad.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Oxo1

Post by Oxo1 » 22nd Oct, '10, 16:29

BoD wrote:You don't really get kebabs here, but the good old chicken motorbike is a pretty decent substitute and can also be eaten when sober
Seems like a lot of effort plucking chicken just so you can regurgitate it all over the back seat of a taxi :?.
Lichtgestalt wrote:You can't let him walk unprepared into this cougar cage....
To be fair kooks did offer to protect me, that’s what the handcuffs and silk dressing gown are for...right kooks? =^.^= ...<Silence>
Last edited by Oxo1 on 22nd Oct, '10, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Oxo1

Post by Oxo1 » 22nd Oct, '10, 16:34

baloo wrote:Shiraz kebabs aren't bad.
Not a real Kebab then, they should be utterly rubbish and microorganism infested food that you wouldn’t touch without the protection ethanol in cider provides :mrgreen:.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 23rd Oct, '10, 03:00

You can also try A*STar (google for them) - they provide a list of research institutes & companies.

They would love you since you intend to work all hours of hte day.

Oxo1

Post by Oxo1 » 27th Oct, '10, 18:01

Satellite wrote:They would love you since you intend to work all hours of hte day.
Is time spent at pubs, cafes and restaurants considered “working” if it’s with co-workers? :D I don’t think I work any harder than a lot of other single people in the same industry really, they joke about doing 9 to 5 but they roll up at between 6 and 7am then don’t go home until 7 or 8pm (though obviously if you have a family it would be unfair for a company to have the same expectations). This is the reality of having a career really isn’t it? Work that needs doing, families that need feeding and taxes that need paying.

I intend to retire very early as I still have a few things to tick off my list (sail around the world diving wrecks, learn to fly a sail plane, do the Mongol rally, plant a vineyard and keep chickens :mrgreen:...that sort of silly dream) and you can still make a few dollars working on small stuff [smilie=yahoo.gif].

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 27th Oct, '10, 18:34

You are meant to be passionate about science here - ie eat, drinka nd sleep science.

Not much of a pub culture. Most scientists are asian - chinese from mainland china and indians from india. A no. of western expats too so depending on how lucky you are - ie if your boss likes it if you go home early.

I used to work 8.30am - 11pm, EVERYDAY (yes sat & Sun), as do most others. That's why I'm not a scientist anymore.

Don't say I didn't warn you!
Last edited by Satellite on 27th Oct, '10, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

Oxo1

Post by Oxo1 » 28th Oct, '10, 16:24

Satellite wrote:You are meant to be passionate about science here - ie eat, drinka nd sleep science.
Luckily Engineering isn’t too cutting edge science-esque in nature. If scientists are the Greeks of the modern world with their philosophies and theories then Engineers are the Romans interested in wealth and power.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 28th Oct, '10, 21:25

I can't remember the last time I ate, drank and slept science. Ate and drank, yes, drank and slept, yes, but not all three at the same time.

And more importantly, in the private sector, you start work at 9-ish. You finish work when the job is done. Which is usually before 5...
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 28th Oct, '10, 22:29

He works hard for the money, so hard for it honey....
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

StellaAdey
Lurker
Mood: happy

Post by StellaAdey » 4th Mar, '12, 20:21

goodluck on your job search! recruitment in Singapore scene right now is very competitive, it’s imperative for jobseekers to not step up their game ;)