West Sussex/ Surrey/ Croydon

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 20th Feb, '12, 14:48

I might be traveling to the UK some time in May/June this year.

I know there are handful of you who are from the UK. From the subject, can some of you share your experiences of the place, people, culture and things to do or taboos etc?

Thank you!
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Re: West Sussex/ Surrey/ Croydon

Post by Satellite » 20th Feb, '12, 22:32

If travelling with baby be sure to bring extra diapers, food, clothes, bottles, formula, travel medicines - the works on HAND CARRIAGE. Dont worry that it is heavy and bulky as we were caught a total of 3 times with delayed/cancelled flights over 2 years with kid(s).

I was unfortunate with a reschuduled flight twice in a row on BA this Jan 2012 due to the snow one day one and leaky fuel on day two. Luckily I did not bring our kids along. There wwere a few children/babies and they ran out of diapers etc and the way things were handled - it made it very difficult for the parents to buy the essentials.

As for adapting to culture - I did nothing differe nt from in Signapore. Just bring warm clothes and something for the rain. Normal rules on safethy apply.

We just bought a house in kingston! (Surrey) [smilie=groovy.gif] Finallyh we can have a place of our own! I was told that South Kingston upon thames is not a safe place, at leaast not for living - the city centre/north kingston is ok.

Enjoy!

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 21st Feb, '12, 18:01

Thanks, Sate :)

Yes, this trip we will be bringing baby with us and by then, she will be 11-12 months old. The husband has intention of traveling on BA or QF because those times suit us.

We are planning to spend 2 weeks (but not more due to work commitments that we both have) there but I doubt we really want to spend all the time in one place. The husband is suggesting to revist some of his childhood places, example, in Croydon (when he was born it was in Surrey but there was a boundary change later in his childhood years) and to West Wickham (where his family had moved) and eventually to Horsham where the MiL and SiL are living now.

Just trying to think if it's really worth it to travel to these places or do we really have enough time to cover these places :(
Last edited by SunshineAfterRain on 21st Feb, '12, 23:30, edited 2 times in total.
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 21st Feb, '12, 21:22

Unless it has changed dramatically in the last 15years Croydon is a bit (ok a lot) of a dump. Quite a lot of it was burnt down in the riots last year, so that might have improved things.

I used to have a house in North Kingston. Not a bad place though the best bit was probably the easy access to Richmond Park
We are the TPF

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 21st Feb, '12, 22:41

Lots of young mothers with children in Croydon... I think the infrastructure had improved though (pre-riots that is)

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 22nd Feb, '12, 00:05

Do a detailed itenary - you'll have a better idea of how much time youd have and what exactly you;d ike to see/do. I find that it really helps to have things organised especially if you have a baby in tow.

North kingston- my hdb flat has bigger living, dining and bed rooms than the one we bought and a fraction of the price!