What a Wimp

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

What a Wimp

Post by Kooky » 11th Aug, '12, 06:00

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-new ... 23ztm.html

Not for one minute, even with the worst headache and body ache in the world, did I consider leaving Asia or do I consider not travelling to "Asia, South America, much of Africa and India" because of Dengue.

Am I reckless? Would you? :?

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Re: What a Wimp

Post by canuck » 11th Aug, '12, 08:37

How lucky he is that he can choose not to be exposed, unlike the entire population of asia, and now florida...

Would it make me stop visiting asia?
Hmmm I Avoid certain hours outdoors and off is my friend if i am out everywhere is Asia.

I would like to think not, but since i haven't experieced it don't think i can honestly answer. Right now No, because Asia is supprting me (ie. my career is here, i don't think i'd drop it and leave)

As i said his luxury is he is just a tourist with options to stay home and if dengue was not on his radar when booking a trip to Asia, he should stay home with his head up his butt

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 11th Aug, '12, 09:48

Kooky wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-new ... 23ztm.html

Not for one minute, even with the worst headache and body ache in the world, did I consider leaving Asia or do I consider not travelling to "Asia, South America, much of Africa and India" because of Dengue.

Am I reckless? Would you? :?
never...

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 11th Aug, '12, 10:03

I do make sure we don't have standing water on the plants on the deck. Other than that, nothing.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 11th Aug, '12, 10:24

Having just read about the two 1st class passengers that refused to fly because Qantas didn't have any extra large PJs for them, causing everyone to be delayed while their luggage was found and offloaded, I'm beginning to think that some people just need a big dose of harden the fuck up.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 11th Aug, '12, 10:39

Really? No PJ's so they didn't fly? Oh how shocking. How did they know before take off? You don't get offered the pjs that early, they must have asked for them when they got on. I'm thinking they didn't really want to go...
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 11th Aug, '12, 10:45

I'm guessing they won't be heading to Manila to help with the clean up then !

Personally, when they don't have my pj size, I just imbibe a few extra glasses of Dom to ease the discomfort... :P
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 11th Aug, '12, 10:55

I kid you not. First world problem, eh? <rolls eyes>

http://www.news.com.au/travel/qantas-pa ... 6447674305

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 11th Aug, '12, 10:57

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 11th Aug, '12, 11:29

Kooky wrote:I kid you not. First world problem, eh? <rolls eyes>

http://www.news.com.au/travel/qantas-pa ... 6447674305
Unbloodybelievable. The sort of people you just want to slap [spank]

Would they expect the Stewardess to read them a bedtime story too?
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 11th Aug, '12, 11:40

Money doesn't equal class.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 11th Aug, '12, 12:57

Kooky wrote:Having just read about the two 1st class passengers that refused to fly because Qantas didn't have any extra large PJs for them, causing everyone to be delayed while their luggage was found and offloaded, I'm beginning to think that some people just need a big dose of harden the **** up.
Qantas offers PJs to passengers?? Do all airlines?? It's never occurred to me to think they should give me PJs.....how strange.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 11th Aug, '12, 14:46

slinky wrote:
Kooky wrote:Having just read about the two 1st class passengers that refused to fly because Qantas didn't have any extra large PJs for them, causing everyone to be delayed while their luggage was found and offloaded, I'm beginning to think that some people just need a big dose of harden the **** up.
Qantas offers PJs to passengers?? Do all airlines?? It's never occurred to me to think they should give me PJs.....how strange.
First Class only....

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 11th Aug, '12, 14:57

...and on selected routes, BC passengers are offered cheaper ones, according to that link. Not that I'm ever likely to get any :D

Just my luck on a recent flight I had 4 seats to myself, but was wearing a dress so didn't feel I could lie down :(

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 11th Aug, '12, 15:42

Yeah some Q BC, I've had couple pair. The guys must have beem fat bastards cause the smallest pair they have swim on me like a giant, obviously should have refuse to fly because it's inconsiderate they don't consider women actually fly BC too....
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 11th Aug, '12, 22:59

Tas wrote:Yeah some Q BC, I've had couple pair. The guys must have beem fat bastards cause the smallest pair they have swim on me like a giant, obviously should have refuse to fly because it's inconsiderate they don't consider women actually fly BC too....
Well said Tas :lol:

I must not fly the right long haul business class routes, I guess, never been offered pjs. Maybe UA are just a bunch of cheap bastards......ah, who are we kidding, US airline pretty much equals cheap bastard nowadays, doesn't it ;) [smilie=w00t.gif]

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 11th Aug, '12, 23:09

Just realized, I haven't answered the dengue question. I have to admit, in the early days of coming here and then after K and Neo actually got it :o I had some concerns, particularly about the kids getting it. However, 8 years + into this gig with no definite sign of any big changes to come any time soon, I can't say I think about it all that much. The mosquito police show up here every so often and advise on any potential issues and we definitely don't leave standing water around and either the neighbors are all good too or they have good pest control contracts because we haven't had any mozzie issues in the neighborhood over the years. When we know we might be somewhere where bug repellant is prudent, we use it, but I can't say it's part of the daily routine. I know the school fogs for mozzies regularly and even my one child who seems to be bait doesn't come home with bites all over him, so, so far, so good, you know?

The last time I remember feeling a real need for it was in Cambodia and I think that was at least partly because the hotel provided stuff as I recall. (I also packed it because I read you should :lol: )

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 12th Aug, '12, 06:59

I think anybody sensible would take precautions, be silly not to (yes, especially after seeing Neo's purple feet :D ) but jeez, not visit half the world because you might get Dengue? Might as well never go out of your home because you might get killed crossing the road.

My sister recently said I shouldn't go to Bali alone as it's "too dangerous". (What, like, to lie on a sunlounger all day by my private pool in my private garden in my 5* villa, on first name terms with most of the staff and with security guards wandering up and down the lane all night? :roll: )

The media has a lot to answer for - don't remember many people saying that to me when I went off to Nicaragua on my own in the late 90s.

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 12th Aug, '12, 09:38

K: i got that when i went to ireland in the late 90s

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 12th Aug, '12, 10:45

Hell, I can beat that.

My mum's been in tears, worrying about the fact that Mini and I will be getting a (pre-booked) taxi from Heathrow to Grantham in September. She's worried something will "happen" to us.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Aug, '12, 16:37

Not surprising if it's lincolnshire.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 12th Aug, '12, 18:03

I'd be concerned with you going to grantham too ;)

Even canada is a place where you want to carry a gun in case the locals want to talk to you

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s ... ce-us.html

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 13th Aug, '12, 06:31

Scrummy Mummy wrote:Hell, I can beat that.

My mum's been in tears, worrying about the fact that Mini and I will be getting a (pre-booked) taxi from Heathrow to Grantham in September. She's worried something will "happen" to us.
Well she's right there, you'll get robbed in daylight for that distance :o The Heathrow Express is great but I do know how tricky Paddington and Kings Cross are with luggage so with luggage AND Mini I don't really blame you.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 13th Aug, '12, 11:03

Today's ridiculous holiday-related front-page headline - "Island kills one Aussie every nine days"

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/h ... 6448671303

Um, no. Islands don't kill people...springs to mind. Time folk took responsibility for their own actions? :?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 13th Aug, '12, 11:35

"We have recently seen a marked increase in cases involving young male travellers, 20 to 30, with mental health issues," he said.

Is it just me or is that an oddly vague statement? :?

I think the consulate might want to consider publicizing these numbers a bit more assertively.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.