Melbourne - amusing myself for a couple of days

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Melbourne - amusing myself for a couple of days

Post by Kooky » 16th Aug, '12, 07:58

I've been before but it was quite a few years ago and we spent more time out of the city than in it. This time I'll be left to my own devices and want to get to know the city a bit better. Neo goes a lot but rarely has time to explore.

What to do? Not that fussed for shopping. Museums, galleries, ideal people-watching spots?

Where to eat? Neo's busy hosting business dinners so something around the Hilton South Wharf would be good for me (to wander safely).

Somewhere rather lovely for us to eat together, Friday night Date Night? That we could get a reservation at, bearing in mind it's next week? :)

Ta.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Re: Melbourne - amusing myself for a couple of days

Post by Morrolan » 16th Aug, '12, 08:09

you can stay at our place! [smilie=groovy.gif]

oh, wait...

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 16th Aug, '12, 17:08

[smilie=tease.gif]

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 16th Aug, '12, 18:46

Lots of stuff to see and do from what i remember ages ago, lots of art galleries, nice walking shopping street, easy tram, lots of little places for food. Sadly can't name a one tho

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 16th Aug, '12, 18:52

Lonely Planet do a great pocket guide to Syndey, which got a few years back. They might do similar for Melbourne, worth looking for in decent bookshop.

Also, while we find designfiles.com.au a bit hit and miss style wise, think she might do a gallery category or worth checking her lists.

And quirky shopping in Melbourne alleys, heck, that's why would head there in first pace :)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 16th Aug, '12, 20:22

Here you go, the only guide you'll need !

http://www.luxecityguides.com/?m=guide_ ... uide_id=16

Have a good one!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 16th Aug, '12, 20:45

I think I have it, Daff, albeit a few years old. (The Bali one is still relevant, similar age.)

Now if only I could find it.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 17th Aug, '12, 11:56

Wish I could help...but I don't get out much. :( I love wandering the lanes in the city, some fantastic shops and coffee places (can't give you a heads up on any of those for coffee specials as I detest the stuff in all its forms). I would suggest heading to the National Gallery though, think the Napoleon exhibition is on at the moment along with a few other good things. Not sure what is on at the Ian Potter gallery (still part of the NGV) at Fed Square but always worth a look to see if it is anything interesting. Love South Yarra, Carlton and St Kilda for people watching, Just be sure to rug up...it is cold down here right now. Oh and stay away from harbourfront or whatever they want to call it, still haven't found much down that way to be enthusiastic over, and in winter is truly freezing down there, the wind chill factor is double elsewhere in town!

Couldn't tell you a good restaurant at all in the city, so many well known ones but I haven't been to any. :( Only place I could really recommend is Old Kingdom in Mont Albert which has the best ever Peking Duck. However it is out of town and totally lacks any form of ambience whatsoever! People just go there for the duck and it is well worth it.

Sorry K, wish I could be more help.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous