Fly screens / insect screens

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Fly screens / insect screens

Post by baloo » 4th Dec, '10, 15:58

I'm pretty sure somewhere in here said they have normal fly / insect screens at their house (I mean in Singapore). A search revealed nothing though.

Does anyone have or know of a company that does fly / insect screens in Singapore. Someone other than the Peaceon magnetic stuff that we used before.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: Fly screens / insect screens

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 4th Dec, '10, 16:34

We have stainless steel screens on all of our windows. We had them done by a company that installs window grilles, they installed window frames but instead of grilles used panels with stainless steel "netting". So they're permanent sliding window frames with locks. Our 5-room HDB flat cost about S$2,500-S$3,000.

We installed them in our old place, the company that did them was brilliant. When we moved to this place, the old company had folded, so we have to go with someone else, and the service was terrible. Three times we had to send the screens back to the factory because they'd done such a shoddy job. The stainless steel netting was buckled and warped inside the frames, just a piss poor job. It took them forever to get it right.

So, yes we have them, and I do recommend them for keeping out bugs but I wouldn't recommend this company to an enemy.

Also need to warn - they're a bit of a pain to clean, as well.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 4th Dec, '10, 17:05

hmmm, ok, thanks I guess. Shame the others went out of business.

aicila_gnef
Lurker
Mood: peckish

Post by aicila_gnef » 26th Apr, '11, 23:12

Hi Lili
wonder if you could PM me which was the hack job company. And if anyone can share negative/positive comments on Peacecon and Magnetic Screen p/l.
thanks

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 27th Apr, '11, 10:43

Ugh! Don't even remind me about those screens. They are now rusting and disintegrate with the slightest touch. Some sense of security they are - what a big effing load of wasted money. The set we had at our previous place were brilliant, but these? Ugh! Don't worry, aicila, this company's warehouse burned down shortly after our job was completed.

I SWEAR I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!!!!!!

Seriously, though. It did burn down. They're not in business anymore, at least not with the same name.

I have no experience with the magnetic screens, however I am looking into re-doing the whole house with invisi-grilles, and plan to contact the two companies that handle them in Singapore for a look-see and quotes. But I realize they won't do much for mosquito protection. I'm more interested in the safety aspect without feeling like I'm in a grilled-in prison cell.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 28th Apr, '11, 01:00

I alway wondered why there were no screens on the windows and sliding glass doors in Singapore.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 28th Apr, '11, 05:26

I netted in our upstairs windows at Geylang with a few rolls of stuff from the DIY shop and the same of velcro. Couldn't see it from a distance.

aicila_gnef
Lurker

Post by aicila_gnef » 28th Apr, '11, 09:47

Lol lili!
I'll try out the magnetic screens n hope they won't disappoint!
The plus is they're installed on the outside of the windows so u can easily slide open n close the window panes while not touching the screens.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 28th Apr, '11, 10:27

Magnetic screens are installed on the inside. It will be near impossible to open the windows if they are installed on the outside.

aicila_gnef
Lurker

Post by aicila_gnef » 28th Apr, '11, 10:40

I meant the vendors will provide a alum frame that is installed on the external grilles of the window. The actual screen n corner handles will b stuck at the side of the frame facing the room. This is for sliding windows only.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 28th Apr, '11, 12:09

It remains a mystery to me why, when in a tropical country with mosquitoes that carry malaria, dengue fever, encephalitis and other stuff and there are two choices:

A. make sure residential construction has insect screens built into the windows

or

B. deploy a brigage of foreign workers to fumigate the WHOLE COUNTRY weekly by spraying poison gas around

Singapore chooses B
Last edited by T2K on 28th Apr, '11, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 29th Apr, '11, 06:11

The third option is make sure you live on a high enough floor that the mozzies won't go that high.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 29th Apr, '11, 08:25

T2K wrote:It remains a mystery to me why, when in a tropical country with mosquitoes that carry malaria, dengue fever, encephalitis and other stuff and there are two choices:

A. make sure residential construction has insect screens built into the windows

or

B. deploy a brigage of foreign workers to fumigate the WHOLE COUNTRY weekly by spraying poison gas around

Singapore chooses B
ditto... [smilie=wtf.gif]

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 29th Apr, '11, 08:34

The general comment I get from locals when they see the screens on my windows is a disapproving, "But don't they block the breeze?"

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 29th Apr, '11, 10:18

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:The general comment I get from locals when they see the screens on my windows is a disapproving, "But don't they block the breeze?"
:lol:

Sort of reminds me of the (supposed) old argument in Indiana against going on daylight savings time in the summer: "The extra hour of sunlight will burn the corn" [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 29th Apr, '11, 10:32

And why do they insist on cutting our pizza into 8 pieces if they know we can only eat 6?

easy-fix
Spammer
Mood: good

Post by easy-fix » 25th Nov, '11, 14:45

Hi Guys,
mis2.jpg
mis2.jpg (9.91 KiB) Viewed 13744 times
I'm selling a Do-it-yourself Maid entrapment screen kit with all necessary items like net, PVC strips, electrified fencing & magnetic strips provided. For more info, please visit magneticmaidscreen.blogspot.com

Matt The Spammer
Last edited by baloo on 25th Nov, '11, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.