Hello from Brrrrr Melbourne

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

kittykat
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: In a state of flux

Hello from Brrrrr Melbourne

Post by kittykat » 4th Jul, '08, 06:05

It's cold... That much I've noticed. Seriously, well after getting on the plane after brunch I managed to make the trek with baby KK and helper in tow from Sg to Darwin then onto Melbourne. Don't go that way if you can possibly avoid it. As was on a budget I flew the poverty route and I have the scars to show for it.

We are settled into our little house and all going well. Am loving the fashion here - I look totally out of place in my cargo pants and tshirt with a denim jacket so am hitting Chadstone today. I need a new chic look I think.

Baby KK is struggling with the cold - he had the flu for the first 2 days but is coming good. He misses his toys which are enroute from SG but apart from that is coping fine and loving having a garden and a big dog next door.

Forgot how "special" Australian customer service is in the call centres and spent over 3 hours on the phone trying to get my stupid internet setup and they still didn't fix it - they gave me a dial-up account while they sort their rubbish out. Charming... But suck it up I guess.

Food is very expensive but very good quality and I love the choice of yoghurt and bread here! What can I say I'm easily impressed.
Because you're worth it...

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Hello from Brrrrr Melbourne

Post by Kooky » 4th Jul, '08, 06:38

Hello kk [smilie=kiss.gif] Welcome to our new forum ;)

You'll need warmer trousers than cargo pants, for sure. I live in jeans and denim skirts, and my David Lawrence (thanks to BB) trench. :)

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 4th Jul, '08, 06:48

it's not cold! it's a whole 10 degrees. ridiculously warm, even the orchids in our orchid garden are in bloom.

wait till winter really starts: we might have frost. [smilie=groovy.gif]

kittykat
Mood: In a state of flux

Post by kittykat » 4th Jul, '08, 07:01

Morrolan wrote:it's not cold! it's a whole 10 degrees. ridiculously warm, even the orchids in our orchid garden are in bloom.

wait till winter really starts: we might have frost. [smilie=groovy.gif]
But my heating doesn't go any higher .....

Wait buy more clothes that's the answer. Saw a great coat yesterday that I think I need.... Kooky cannot wait to hit David Lawerence. Love that place...
Because you're worth it...

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 4th Jul, '08, 07:25

You have heating? :o If it gets any colder I'm off to buy another plug in heater, as at the moment I sit near this one when I get up and it's hard to drag myself away. (Han actually sits attached to it - singed cat, anyone?)

The last couple of days have actually been beautiful - clear, sunny skies, warmer out than in - but today is not starting out that way.

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 4th Jul, '08, 08:06

'Twas a bit chilly (minus 2) here in Canberra overnight, and 8.5 degrees in the kitchen when I got up. It'll get much colder as winter drags on. We'll have to think about running the heating soon I think. Our house is seriously crappy when it comes to thermal performance.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: bloody marvellous

Post by Fuzz » 4th Jul, '08, 08:14

I find Winter pretty mild this year -- we usually have cold nights and mornings of 2C min, to a 12C-15C max. So far, we've only reached 7-9C min. We still have two more months of Winter, so perhaps the cold snap will come later.

I love Melbourne more than Sydney, IMO. Glad you've made it safely in Melbourne!

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 4th Jul, '08, 09:52

Hi KittyKat! You made it! So happy to hear that you both traveled safe and sound. Good luck with everything - I love this forum. No matter where you are, you're always right here! ;)
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 4th Jul, '08, 10:37

Apparently it's the coldest day of the year thus far, in Sydney anyway. Better get those thermal layers on kooks.

Glad all going well kk, just think of the upside - all that relatively cheap red wine to rediscover!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 4th Jul, '08, 10:46

I used to like Melbourne best, but I gotta say, Sydney has finally started to grow on me. Catching a train over the harbour every day starts to become part of your psyche. And eventually little pockets of the city start to feel like they are yours to explore, you're not just a visitor. I still don't like the CBD, and Darling Harbour & Circular Quay are embarrassments of architecture and trashy tourist crud, but they are still a gateway to a great harbour. I've even started to get to know the roads (even if I did get lost driving the 10mins from Kooky's to my own house last night!) and found my way to Curl Curl to sit on the beach and read my magazines. And I've still yet to properly explore the fishmarkets, and the various well known multicultural food areas out in the suburbs listed in the food shopping guide - and often shown on that SBS food show!

Melbourne is still pretty cool though!
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 4th Jul, '08, 10:54

Tas wrote:...Sydney...I still don't like the CBD...
Me neither - rarely go there. I still get a buzz walking back down from the station or shopping centre and seeing that bridge with its two flags on top though. :oops:

Erm, I think even I could find your house from here. :lol: (I still say that house is round the corner from you, BTW.)

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 4th Jul, '08, 15:53

Glad you made it safe 'n sound, KK. Enjoy the new wardrobe shopping - sounds like fun! Keep us posted on how it's going!!

Tack

Post by Tack » 4th Jul, '08, 16:03

Good to hear KK.
All the best with your new existance [smilie=kiss.gif]

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 4th Jul, '08, 21:13

Hey KK! Know the feeling about the wardrobe, had to dump so much of mine when I was in Godzone but OH the winter fashions, fab xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"