SMS speak

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

SMS speak

Post by cromasaig » 18th Mar, '08, 10:17

Wots d pnt n soundn lyk a stupd prik jst 2 sav typn a fu ltrs?

Aaaargh!

BFG
I post here professionally
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Re: SMS speak

Post by BFG » 18th Mar, '08, 10:23

It saves having to learn the rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation. This means that no one is judged on how well, or how badly, they use the English language. In the current climate of ensuring that individuals are protected from "failure", this is viewed as a good thing.

Personally, I think it is a crock of the highest order....
Life's too short...

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 18th Mar, '08, 10:25

So there should be nothing wrong with me writing L7 instead of L8?

BFG

Post by BFG » 18th Mar, '08, 10:26

Not if enough uneducated f*ckwits decide that that is how "late" will be denoted, no.
Life's too short...

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 18th Mar, '08, 10:31

Just because a persons grammar suxs does not mean they are uneducated or dumb, some of us are just better at other things smilie=tease.gif]
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 18th Mar, '08, 10:38

Just because someone dresses in rags doesn't mean they're poor...

But it usually does.

cromasaig
Going Postal

Post by cromasaig » 18th Mar, '08, 10:42

I know, Poss, I know.

I'm the worst cook in the world. Hate it. Rubbish at it. That B&B pudding recipe with the croissants? Husband made it. Until babies arrived - necessitating a major life change - husband worked freelance from home. He did all the cooking (superbly) and I went out to work. Everyone's happy [smilie=kissing2.gif]

Anyway, I digress. I can't cook and that drives my husband nuts because to him it's inexplicable that someone wouldn't get pleasure from making good food.

So yes, I know that perhaps I shouldn't judge another person on the things that I consider important, but I can't help it. Don't we all?

Anyway, you can't possibly be as bad as FionaO over on the AB (moving to Munich). It's painful to read.

Edit: And no, I'm not the person who had a go at her for it! Stopped myself just in time.
Last edited by cromasaig on 18th Mar, '08, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 18th Mar, '08, 10:49

Bad grammar and sms speak are two different things. SMS speak is pure laziness, or rather it's how we perceive it whereas it's the 'in thing' for Generation Y (or is it Z now).

The elder Possette now knows that if she wants homework help, she's not allowed to type in SMS speak and not surprisingly her grammar and spelling are fine.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 18th Mar, '08, 10:52

Ghettos in the western world are full of branded items…. never judge a book by its cover!
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 18th Mar, '08, 10:55

baloo wrote:...The elder Possette now knows that if she wants homework help, she's not allowed to type in SMS speak and not surprisingly her grammar and spelling are fine.
Could you now please work on her attitude? [smilie=kiss.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 18th Mar, '08, 10:56

Possum wrote:
baloo wrote:...The elder Possette now knows that if she wants homework help, she's not allowed to type in SMS speak and not surprisingly her grammar and spelling are fine.
Could you now please work on her attitude? [smilie=kiss.gif]
Cannot lah. Her attitude is worse with me than with anyone else...... It just got worse when I called her on her fake Myspace age profile.

BFG

Post by BFG » 18th Mar, '08, 10:56

Realistically, grammar, syntax, spelling et al are either important to you or not. Personally, I do take an ability with language into account when I am gauging someone's intelligence - that may not be politically correct, but in my experience there is a link between the two.

Now, if I were to claim that because it works for me then it is, by definition, correct, why then I'd be no better than your average religionist....

[smilie=tease.gif]
Life's too short...

Bender

Post by Bender » 18th Mar, '08, 11:02

I remember when my mum got her first mobile phone... I showed her how to send/receive SMS and explained about abbreviations. I could barely decipher her first few messages to me - she used to be a telex operator, and the telex world was full of abbreviations!
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 18th Mar, '08, 11:05

[/quote]Cannot lah. Her attitude is worse with me than with anyone else...... It just got worse when I called her on her fake Myspace age profile.[/quote]

I have noticed that spark between you two but can't work out why. Two very strong personalities I guess.

cromasaig
Going Postal

Post by cromasaig » 18th Mar, '08, 11:18

Possum, just promise me you never refer to yourself as giving "110%". ;)

You can tell I'm in a ranting mood today, can't you? I may just take over this forum...

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 18th Mar, '08, 11:26

poss: it's easy, he set him self up as an authority figure, one to be rebelled against but listened to when pushed ;)

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 18th Mar, '08, 11:26

I know what you mean Bender, and it came from having to pay per line, I could speak to friends in shorthand that was used in "comms" ages ago and no one could understand us, so much of it is used in SMS/online speak now as well, but it has been taken to a whole new level.

There is nothing wrong with using abbreviations when sending a message, same as taking notes in shorthand, but, I cannot handle it when they talk the same way nor when it is used in general writing!
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 18th Mar, '08, 11:27

Cromasaig, that was me wot had a go at her, silly bint she sounded lol
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

cromasaig
Going Postal

Post by cromasaig » 18th Mar, '08, 11:36

Must be something in the water today. Over on the AB someone's having a go at people who speak poor English.

Has Singapore been swamped by a delivery of soap boxes?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 18th Mar, '08, 11:39

Hahaha, cromasaig I applaud your constraint. But I just couldn't let the other guy go.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 18th Mar, '08, 11:39

government is considering relaxing its restrictions on public demonstrations :D that could explain it

cromasaig
Going Postal

Post by cromasaig » 18th Mar, '08, 11:45

I think perhaps I need a stack of soapboxes as my avatar. Anyone out there bright enough to be able to create it for me?

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 18th Mar, '08, 11:57

I tell my kids I expect 101% "effort", does that count? :) If you aren't prepared to do the best you can and then some then don't bother. [smilie=kiss.gif]

I never go on the AB, it depresses me and shocks me that there are so many people out there who enjoy abusing others. I wonder if they would behave the same in person, somehow that wouldn't seem as bad.

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 18th Mar, '08, 11:59

To be honest, I find SMS speak disgusting and a lazy way of expressing yourself. If you have to do it by phone,fine but in normal written speech - no way! Lazy and people who do it should be jailed and caned. Alot.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 18th Mar, '08, 12:00

cromasaig wrote:I think perhaps I need a stack of soapboxes as my avatar. Anyone out there bright enough to be able to create it for me?
ImageImageImageImage