Will the Last One Out Please Turn Out the Lights

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Will the Last One Out Please Turn Out the Lights

Post by skank-la » 28th Jul, '11, 06:29

Will we even have a functioning Govt come Aug 3rd?

Washington has ground to a dead halt. The FAA (Federal Aviation Authority) has been closed for 3 days now & nobody is even trying to solve the problem. They have even stopped collecting their taxes on airline tickets as they technically don't exist at the moment, however, the airlines have not dropped ticket prices & are pocketing the difference

The debt ceiling debate grinds on inside the beltway while the rest of the country watches a slow motion train wreck, a whole govt doing an Amy Winehouse in full view of the public.

Everyone hang onto your hats we're in for a bumpy ride......
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Re: Will the Last One Out Please Turn Out the Lights

Post by Tas » 28th Jul, '11, 08:24

yeah, I've not been able to watch US news for a bit, not just for the usual reasons, but it looks a tad scary and I am so glad its not my country at the mo.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 28th Jul, '11, 09:16

it's a circus...

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 28th Jul, '11, 11:52

It sucks, but it's not surprising. If anyone thinks the solution lies with either the Tweedle Dee Party or the Tweedle Dum Party (I can't remember which is which anymore) then they just aren't paying attention. Option #1 is to keep borrowing money and massively spending it until the interest payments overwhelm us (and we default later) and Option #2 is to stop borrowing money now (default immediately).

Obama's 2006 thoughts on this matter:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt